You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-08 14:27:07

naeg

We want YOU for the ArchMobile Project!

Hello all

ArchMobile, the Arch Linux ARM Port, is slowly going down the tube...

This is happening because most of the former active members, who actually founded ArchMobile and did the first steps, are not having time anymore, including me.

Now ArchMobile needs new crew members. If you are interested in keeping ArchMobile alive, look at this Wikipage and see if you can do something for ArchMobile: http://www.archmobile.org/trac/wiki/DeveloperGuide

Also, show up in our IRC channel(#archmobile on freenode) and join our Mailing List( https://groups.google.com/group/archmobile ).

ArchMobile now depends on you. Greetings - naeg

EDIT: I often were confronted with people saying that ArchMobile is a port for phones(maybe because of the name wink) but it is NOT! It's a general Arch Linux ARM Port, for any ARM device.

Last edited by naeg (2011-01-09 20:13:12)

#2 2011-03-20 00:40:25

drahnr

Re: We want YOU for the ArchMobile Project!

How many people are left there working on archmobile? I'd jump through the hoop and take care for the guruplug device (if there is any interest) and write some wiki details on howto setup (got some exams ahead, so lets say 4 weeks ahead till I can do anything). What about merging with plugapps (and take the name archmobile, plugapps just ... not the best name IMO)?

Last edited by drahnr (2011-03-20 00:41:17)

#3 2011-03-23 05:42:40

mikestaszel
Website

That was the plan way back when, PlugApps reached out to either help or contribute to ArchMobile, but all the devs had on their minds was to merge and call it all ArchMobile. What would PlugApps have gotten out of it? Same goes for now - how would PlugApps benefit from a name change? The name is irrelevant, but the talent is and can't be lost either way.No one has to merge anything or give up. The reason PlugApps isn't called Arch-something is because of copyrights and trademarks, not because we hate Arch (that wouldn't make much sense, basing our port off of Arch but hating it). We file bug reports (although they are usually ARM-specific, so we have to accommodate by making our own well-documented PKGBUILDs). We're all on the same page - making an ARM Arch Linux port.

#4 2011-04-09 01:41:45

xelados
Website

I would offer my hand, but I don't have an ARM device yet. I should be getting an OpenPandora soon, and I'd love to dualboot Arch with that little beast.

Consider me interested.

#5 2011-04-16 21:55:25

android

mikestaszel wrote:

What would PlugApps have gotten out of it? Same goes for now - how would PlugApps benefit from a name change? The name is irrelevant, but the talent is and can't be lost either way.

Hey Mike,

I just registered over at plugapps.com/forum and I wanted to say THANK YOU here on the arch home turf for the plugapps group's efforts in bringing arch to ARM architecture.

Arch is such a natural for small fooprint systems (I rolled an embedded 586 package system out of pacman/ABS and it really worked well).

Regarding the "what's in a name" discussion: I do think PlugApps would benefit from an "Arch*" name. With the original project of bringing arch to the sheevaplug, the plugapps name was very appropriate. Now the scope of the project has expanded and incorporates many ARM platforms, and a more general name would better describe what the project is all about.

With the demise of archmobile, it does facilitate using that name. (personally, I think archembedded would be the best name of all)

What PlugApps gets is a clear affiliation with the arch distro, spelled out right in the name.

While you're certainly correct that the talent and time spent on PlugApps makes it a great project under any name. Having a name that clearly associates it with archlinux would be a benefit to the program.

I don't know the exact trademark/copyright issues that are problematic, but please keep an open option to considering this subject.

The embedded friendly nature of arch really should be leveraged into an embedded version of the distro. I hope the core arch devs feel this way too, as it really is an avenue that could produce a great deal of utilization for the distro.

I was just at the Embedded Linux Conference in San Francisco and I believe the arch packaging and build system would be much more useful in embedded systems than the .deb and .rpm packaging systems primarily used.

Many more embedded systems make their way into the world than desktop systems, this should be where ARCH really shines. This would be a huge benefit to the plugapps project and to the greater archlinux community/distro as a whole.

Thanks again Mike, for your efforts in the plugapps project! and Thanks Yet Again to the arch developers who make this such a great engineer's distro!

johnea

#6 2011-04-20 08:49:40

drahnr

#7 2011-07-06 20:53:04

marquicus

+1 with a xoom, I'll try to install pacman in it

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ting_Linux

at first from compiled packages and then from bbs

any other idea?

#8 2011-07-16 04:22:11

mikestaszel
Website

Hey, can a mod close this topic? Everything's going on the Arch Linux ARM from here on out, not in ArchMobile.

#9 2011-07-16 04:44:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Done smile

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer