You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-08 15:10:36

snack

How to use different configurations for KDE Plasma?

I typically use my laptop in two ways: single monitor and dual monitor. I like to have in the two cases two different sets of widgets and plasmoids, so I wonder if it's possible to have multiple configurations for Plasma and load the desired one when needed. I searched around for a solutio but didn't find anything.
Right now, I'm using a rather awkward method: I have two sets of Plasma configuration files for single and dual monitor setup (ie., plasma-desktop-appletsrc-single and plasma-desktop-appletsrc-dual) and two startx scripts which, before starting KDE, copy the single or dual monitor configuration on the standard Plasma config file (cp $HOME/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc-dual $HOME/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc). I'm sure there are better ways to have a dynamical Plasma configuration, since my zero-order solution has many drawbacks, for example I loose the modifications I make on my desktop (since Plasma saves them on plasma-desktop-appletsrc which is overwritten at next startup).
Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

#2 2011-01-08 15:54:36

iggy

Re: How to use different configurations for KDE Plasma?

For such a purpose KDE Plasma provides Activities. Here you can find more about that:
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#Activities

There is also a nice plasmoid for easy Activity managing:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ac … ent=136278

I hope, this helps you...

sorry for my bad english smile

#3 2011-01-08 18:48:49

snack

Very nice! I never fully understood what activities are but now this gives me he opportunity to concretely play with them. I'll give this solution a try, Thank you very much, iggy.

#4 2011-01-09 11:13:02

snack

I tried to play with activities, but it seems that panels aren't affected by an activity switch. I'd like to change the panel layout as well when switching from single monitor to dual monitor activity, is it possible? Maybe I'm doinng something wrong, I tried but had no luck...

Board footer