You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-03 22:44:39

molqr

vertical time display in openbox docker using lal clock

i m using openbox WM and wanting to save on screen estate i chose not to use any panels. however for xchat and pidgin tray notifications i was forced to use a tray which results in wasted space as can be seen in this pic.  (look at the left strip)

as i already had wasted space i figured a clock would be ok to use now provided it  could display time vertically which simply means that instead of showing time as
19:45
it should show time as

i m using lal clock and could not get it to display time in a vertical format. the man page states that the time format can be obtained from the man page of strftime, which includes the ``%n" string to cause a new line. however

lal -f  "%H %n %M" &

does NOT work.

not being clever i figured perhaps TWO lal clocks can do the trick so I use the following:

lal -f "%H" &
lal -f "%M" &

to get what I am looking for as can be seen here.

my question to you is if i can achieve the same using some other elegant method.

#2 2011-01-09 07:30:24

JoshuaK
Website

Re: vertical time display in openbox docker using lal clock

Install obconf, you can set the dock to auto hide, or be in a different corner. Also you can change orientation. Though you had plenty of time to forget, Google brought this up, and you just helped with that command there. Thank you, by the way.

Meh has new account! This one left behind for history's sake...

#3 2011-01-09 11:15:59

Larsson

Install tint2 or any other minimal panel and as previous poster said put it in openbox dock with autohide. I think most modern panels also do autohide (gnome-panel, awn) etc. If you are using tint2 then tintwizard can be a great addition to configure the theme.

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#4 2011-01-10 14:04:56

thil77

tint2 have 2 line for the clock and autohide.
so you can specify %H on first line and %M on second.
and also choose specific font for each line.

see http://d.imagehost.org/view/0234/Screenshot-1
on latest version (see AUR), you can disable the taskbar and run just systray + clock (panel_items = SC).

Last edited by thil77 (2011-01-10 14:05:59)

Board footer