You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 19:04:10

Kei

[SOLVED] (Almost) No sound: pulseaudio, Audigy2

Hi,

For a while now I have huge problems with my sound. I think I messed something up while playing with Alsa. Now I have no sound at all - except for the startup and shutdown sounds in KDE.

I'm trying to configure pulseaudio for my system. I followed the steps on the wiki. Here's my situation:

- I have two soundcards installed: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P] (emu10k1) and the graphics-card-onboard HDMI "soundcard" of my ATI Radeon 5770. I want to use the Audigy card.

- I blacklisted 'snd-pcm-oss'. The modules needed are loaded:

$ lsmod|grep snd
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2739  1                                                                                                                                                                                                            
snd_seq_dummy           1431  0                                                                                                                                                                                                              
snd_seq_oss            28760  0                                                                                                                                                                                                              
snd_seq_midi_event      5436  1 snd_seq_oss                                                                                                                                                                                                  
snd_seq                50082  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event                                                                                                                                                                 
snd_emu10k1           140847  2                                                                                                                                                                                                              
snd_rawmidi            19237  1 snd_emu10k1                                                                                                                                                                                                  
snd_ac97_codec        110751  1 snd_emu10k1                                                                                                                                                                                                  
ac97_bus                1174  1 snd_ac97_codec                                                                                                                                                                                               
snd_seq_device          5297  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi                                                                                                                                                    
snd_util_mem            2328  1 snd_emu10k1                                                                                                                                                                                                  
snd_hda_intel          22285  0                                                                                                                                                                                                              
snd_hda_codec          79384  2 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_intel                                                                                                                                                                          
snd_hwdep               6110  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_codec                                                                                                                                                                                    
snd_pcm                71921  4 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec                                                                                                                                                       
snd_timer              19265  3 snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm                                                                                                                                                                                  
snd                    57562  15 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer                                                                           
soundcore               5969  1 snd                                                                                                                                                                                                          
snd_page_alloc          7249  3 snd_emu10k1,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

- I have connected my external amplifier via the digital out of my card. I know that this connection is good, because I hear the startup and shutdown sound of KDE.

- There is no sound in KDE's multimedia configuration (phonon) via the "test sound" button. I have tried gstreamer, xine and vlc backend. Gstreamer is configured to use pulseaudio, as described in the wiki.

- There is no sound in VLC (explicitly set to use pulseaudio), mplayer, amarok, aplay, play.

- pulseaudio is running:

$ ps aux | grep pulse                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
kevin     4693  0.0  0.1 242520  6188 ?        S<sl 18:51   0:01 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog                                                                                                                             
kevin     4701  0.0  0.0 182864  3800 ?        Sl   18:51   0:00 /usr/lib/pulse/gconf-helper                                                                                                                                                 
kevin    27979  0.0  0.0   8844   948 pts/1    S+   19:31   0:00 grep pulse

- I have installed the packages for pulseaudio and alsa, 64 and 32 bit (tried reinstalling all of them):

$ pacman -Ss "pulseaudio|alsa" | grep installed
extra/alsa-firmware 1.0.23-1 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                     
extra/alsa-lib 1.0.23-2 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                          
extra/alsa-oss 1.0.17-1 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                          
extra/alsa-plugins 1.0.23-2 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                      
extra/alsa-utils 1.0.23-3 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                        
extra/pulseaudio 0.9.22-2 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                        
extra/pulseaudio-alsa 1-2 (pulseaudio-gnome) [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                     
multilib/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.23-4 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                 
multilib/lib32-alsa-oss 1.0.17-2 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                 
multilib/lib32-alsa-plugins 1.0.23-6 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                             
multilib/lib32-libcanberra-pulse 0.26-3 [installed]                                                                                                                                                                                          
multilib/lib32-libpulse 0.9.22-1 [installed]

- /etc/asound.conf:

# Use PulseAudio by default                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
pcm.!default {                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  type pulse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  hint.description "Default Audio Device"                                                                                                                                                                                                    
}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

ctl.!default {                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  type pulse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

# Explicit PulseAudio device                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
pcm.pulse {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
  type pulse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

ctl.pulse {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
  type pulse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

- kmix (version 3.7 on KDE 4.5.4) shows the UNMUTED pulseaudio device

- Only pulseaudio accesses /dev/snd:

$ fuser -v /dev/snd/*
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND                                                                                                                                                                                          
/dev/snd/controlC0:  kevin      4693 F.... pulseaudio

$ fuser -v /dev/dsp                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Specified filename /dev/dsp does not exist.

$ lsof |grep /dev/snd                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
pulseaudi  4693       kevin   28u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
pulseaudi  4693       kevin   33u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sink  4693  4698 kevin   28u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sink  4693  4698 kevin   33u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sink  4693  4699 kevin   28u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sink  4693  4699 kevin   33u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sour  4693  4700 kevin   28u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0                                                                                                                                         
alsa-sour  4693  4700 kevin   33u      CHR             116,14        0t0     5297 /dev/snd/controlC0

I hope anyone wants to help me with this. I really like to listen to music again (:

kevin

Last edited by Kei (2011-01-11 12:22:10)

#2 2011-01-10 19:17:46

lucke

Re: [SOLVED] (Almost) No sound: pulseaudio, Audigy2

Install pavucontrol and fiddle with it: see what soundcards it uses and what programs are connected to pulseaudio.

#3 2011-01-10 20:21:53

Kei

lucke wrote:

Install pavucontrol and fiddle with it: see what soundcards it uses and what programs are connected to pulseaudio.

When I play music, I see the program and it's volume level in pavucontrol, but I don't hear anything. I tried using different profiles in the configuration tab, but only "Analog Stereo Duplex" works; every other setting causes KDE to switch to "Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]" (which I don't want to use).

Maybe a problem with ALSA?

#4 2011-01-11 00:43:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Each program's sound output can be assigned to a sink.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-01-11 12:21:47

Kei

Finally I managed to get some output: I set the profile to "Digital Stereo (IEC058) Output + Analog Stereo Input" and _restarted_ pavucontrol.

Thanks for your help!

regards,
kevin

Board footer