You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 13:47:39

jaymzcampbell
Website

[SOLVED] fluxbox program launching & incorrect $DISPLAY

I've recently done a full upgrade on my box over the weekend and have now noticed that when I try launching commands in fluxbox the DISPLAY environment variable no longer appears to be being set correctly. My setup is as follows, I have a single XServer with 3 XScreens. If I try launching a program on display #1 or #2 and echo out the variable to the shell I can see it being set as :1 and :2 rather than :0.1 or :0.2.

I'm not sure where this issue came from but for now I've worked around it by having a small script reset the variable for me and then call the program I want. It's doing the job for now until I can look into that a bit more. This is just calling the first argument, you could tack on $2, $3 etc for more. It won't do much harm.

#!/bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0.${DISPLAY:1} $1 

I just did a replace on my ~/.fluxbox/menu file to prepend all entries with it.

*Edit* Just digging around the source code, a very recent (Jan 6th) commit mentions this which is sounding like it might have introduced it's own bug or conflict, sounds like it's probably a minor "out of sync" bit to do with whatever version of fluxbox + xlib I have so i suspect it will sort itself within the next few days as one of the packages updates (I got the issue after a pacman -Su command).

bugfix: do not assume ':number.screen' as the result of 'DisplayString()'

a newer xlib recently changed the result of 'DisplayString()' a little bit:
instead of returning ':0.0' or ':1.0' it yields ':0' or ':1'. our code to
transform this string into something that includes the currently used
Screen worked only on something like ':0.0'.

we now find the '.' after the ':' and strip that part away.

Last edited by jaymzcampbell (2011-01-11 13:36:45)

#2 2011-01-11 07:46:23

moetunes

Re: [SOLVED] fluxbox program launching & incorrect $DISPLAY

There's been a couple of posts about this. Moving back a couple of X versions gets things working ok again. It does seem to be limited to fluxbox - they do have a very slow release cycle... I changed window managers because of that.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2011-01-11 11:35:05

jaymzcampbell
Website

Setting that display var in each command sorts it for me but it's hardly a graceful fix smile That commit that seems to be causing it is very recent, so maybe something keeps ping-ponging. I did a checkout of the current source and it compiled rather straightfoward so i might play around a bit with it myself over the weekend, it seems a fairly easy fix (for now!).

I haven't noticed this problem before the past weekend but I've only just done a full upgrade since several months when I first installed bar a few applications I manually upgraded.

#4 2011-01-11 13:34:57

jaymzcampbell
Website

I can confirm that if you checkout the current source code and compile it it handles setting the $DISPLAY var correctly. Some traces and echos as I clicked around, the "set display" bit is fluxbox setting it as the mouse changes and the run command is invoked.

current app instance is :2
Shell env $DISPLAY is set to :2
Set display to :2.2
Shell env $DISPLAY is set to :2.2
Display is :2.2
Shell env $DISPLAY  is set to :2
Set display to :2.1
Shell env $DISPLAY is set to :2.1
Display is :2.1
Shell env $DISPLAY is set to :2