You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-10 19:45:16

Andy Mack

[Solved] Cloned Hard Drive, Grub Error 15

I bought a new hard drive for my laptop and rather than reinstall windows 7 and arch again I cloned my original with Clonezilla. Hard drives are both 160gb though original is a seagate while the new is WD, will that make a difference?

Everything copied across ok except I got Grub Error 15. Booted into my arch cd and ran find /boot/grub...etc, came up completed scuessfully but still getting Error 15 and now i'm stuck.

Tried a lot of suggestions from various forums but nothing fitted my exact problem.

Partitions are:-

sda1 Windows 7
sda5 Arch Root
sda6 Arch home

fstab also lists both root and home as sda5 and sda6 respectivly.

Booted in a knoppix live cd so I could see any problems from there. Tried to install grub from the cd but get /boot/grub/stage1 not found. I can see where stage1 is myself but grub cant for some reason.

looked in cfdisk, that looks fine though my two linux partitions are listed as ext3 rather than ext4, dont know if thats just how cfdisk works or not, ran fdisk -l and that showed correct partitions.

Any ideas. I dont really want to reinstall arch again, took me a while to set it up just how i wanted.

Thats all I can think of at the minute, been at it for nearly 3 hours now but if you need any other info let me know.

Thankyou

Last edited by Andy Mack (2011-01-11 13:50:38)

#2 2011-01-11 00:53:06

thisoldman

Re: [Solved] Cloned Hard Drive, Grub Error 15

The instructions given at http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-Part … maged-Grub, worked for me.  I chrooted into my Arch installation and re-installed grub from there.

You don't really need the SystemRescueCD to chroot into  your system, an Arch installation CD should work.  Just remember, if the system needing to be rescued is 64 bit, the Live CD should also be running a 64 bit kernel.  I screwed that up first time I tried to reinstall grub.

#3 2011-01-11 13:50:14

Andy Mack

Re: [Solved] Cloned Hard Drive, Grub Error 15

Worked beautifully, much appreciated thisoldman.

Board footer