You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-10 06:54:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[solved] Anybody uses pentadactyl?

I've been using vimperator for a bit, happened across pentadactyl. Considering its done by the two most active contributors to the old vimperator, I'm surprised it doesn't have more publicity (googling the pentadactyl name comes up with non-English websites on the FIRST page, which is always a bad sign for visibility).

Anyway, comments on pentadactyl? The AUR page for vimperator says the main dev uses Arch Linux, in fact. I'm testing it out on my backup machine, would probably switch on my main soon enough.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-11-10 12:39:56

Army

Re: [solved] Anybody uses pentadactyl?

I use pentadactyl nightly with firefox4. I also tried vimperator nightly, which is also kinda nice, but pentadactyl is definitely better. The only thing I don't like is the autocompletion. Vimperator only completes after pressing <Tab>, I prefer this behavior. I'll have to do some research if and how this can be configured.

#3 2010-11-10 14:10:23

heftig
Developer

Same here, using Firefox 4 with Pentadactyl nightly. Vimperator completely ignores tab groups.

As for disabling autocompletion:

:set autocomplete=

#4 2010-11-10 14:54:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Anyone using firefox 3 instead? I can't move off to firefox 4 due to some other extensions...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-11-10 18:25:07

kaptenen
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Anyone using firefox 3 instead? I can't move off to firefox 4 due to some other extensions...

I do, or Icecat but that's doesn't matter.

#6 2010-11-10 19:30:52

Army

ngoonee wrote:

What extensions are these? I use noscript, pentadactyl, cookie monster and requestpolicy. Luckily they all work with ff4 smile

#7 2010-11-10 22:47:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Zotero is the biggie...

#8 2010-11-11 19:55:03

Army

heftig wrote:
:set autocomplete=

Oh shit, sorry for not saying thank you!

@ ngoonee, did you try http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_beta ? I also have to use a beta for requestpolicy, because it doesn't support the 7th beta of ff4, but that's no biggie at all

#9 2010-11-11 23:00:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Army wrote:

@ ngoonee, did you try http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_beta ? I also have to use a beta for requestpolicy, because it doesn't support the 7th beta of ff4, but that's no biggie at all

Nope, not gonna be in a rush to try that, with my thesis submission up in the next 6 months or thereabouts smile. Imagine losing all my research notes.... ouch.

#10 2010-11-12 09:54:42

Army

Ok, that's a valid point wink

#11 2010-11-12 12:16:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Looks like I stick with vimperator for a bit, then. Thanks all for the comments. I'm surprised pentadactyl has been around so long (about a year if I'm reading the mailing list stuff right) without it being mentioned here.

#12 2010-11-26 12:13:47

Runiq

I made a pentadactyl-hg package. At the moment the PKGBUILD is pretty much stolen directly from the vimperator-hg package, but I intend to include the install-directly-to-profile option as described here and here.

#13 2011-01-09 20:38:24

cbrunos

Hello, is there a way to configure keyboard shortcuts in pentadactyl? I got a full customized vimperatorrc (for french bépo keyboards) and wondered if it was compatible or something. I didn't find information in Google.

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#14 2011-01-09 20:50:14

Runiq

cbrunos wrote:

Hello, is there a way to configure keyboard shortcuts in pentadactyl? I got a full customized vimperatorrc (for french bépo keyboards) and wondered if it was compatible or something. I didn't find information in Google.

Yes, there's the map, noremap, etc. functions. Regarding your already present .vimperatorrc—try copying it to ~/.pentadactylrc, cross your fingers and see how far that gets you.

#15 2011-01-11 17:03:29

cbrunos

I did as you suggested; I copied the vimperatorrc to pentadactylrc and it works ^^
Now I can use firefox 4, thanks a lot!

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

Board footer