Re: conflict: mozilla and mozilla-firefox

android:
Could you post your /etc/ld.so.conf and the output of 'ls -l /opt/mozilla/lib'

#27 2005-05-14 03:02:42

archdaemon

Poprocks wrote:
archdaemon wrote:

This looks like old news but I haven't booted Arch in a few days. You're saying I *have* to install Firefox to use Gnome? That's like asking me to install emacs. No deal. Will uninstalling Gnome make pacman shut up? I'm just playing with Gnome but a lot of things besides Gnome relied on mozilla. As is, it won't even show me what it would like to update or let me do anything else - simply whines about firefox and craps out.

What you're saying doesn't really make any sense -- you said you only kept Mozilla because a whole lot of things depended on it, aside from GNOME.  Well the whole point of what's happened is that Firefox is now serving as the backend to many of these packages, rather than Mozilla.

So now instead of keeping Mozilla around for satisfying dependencies, you're keeping Firefox, a browser that probably takes up a little *less* space then the browser you were keeping around before.  Unless there are still some stale packs that rely on Mozilla, you could safely remove it after the upgrade is complete.

I don't know where you got that. That's not at all what I said. I noted that, while gnome brought this issue to my attention, gnome wasn't the problem since I'm really an ice user and gnome is not the only thing bound up with mozilla deps. However, I'm a religious mozilla user and would have it on my box even if nothing relied on it whereas, no matter how many things rely on it, I don't want a IE clone hack job on my box.

And Firefox - and Thunderbird - and plugins - and everything else it takes to (try) to replace mozilla - probably doesn't take up less space (or use fewer resources - that much I've tested) than mozilla.

And if I sound annoyed, please understand I'm not annoyed at you - something about the whole firefox deal just punches my buttons and that's what I get annoyed about. But it's okay - some fibbing to pacman and playing with symlinks works around it for now and I just wanted to clear up any confusion. Mozilla is definitely my main browser. I sometimes use dillo for a kind of local html quick-viewer and either w3m or lynx if I'm X-less and otherwise it's exclusively mozilla.

#28 2005-05-14 03:18:04

Stinky

msg43 wrote:

Is this gonna be worked out cause if it not I might not stay with arch

Wow.  Not much reason to abandon a great distro.  The problem was easy enough to fix on my 3 boxes.  I added:

IgnorePkg mozilla-firefox

to /etc/pacman.conf then ran:

pacman -Syu

commented out IgnorePkg mozilla-firefox and ran pacman -Syu again. 
All good.  No problems, no issues.

#29 2005-05-14 09:54:35

android

android:
Could you post your /etc/ld.so.conf and the output of 'ls -l /opt/mozilla/lib'

Thanks Vinny,

Here's the output:

[johnea@recube ~]$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#

/usr/X11R6/lib

/opt/qt/lib
/opt/kde/lib
/opt/gnome/lib
/opt/xfce4/lib
/opt/mozilla/lib/firefox
# End of file

[johnea@recube ~]$ ls -l /opt/mozilla/lib/
total 28
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root   13 2005-05-13 17:30 firefox -> firefox-1.0.4/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4096 2005-04-22 17:03 firefox-1.0.3/
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root 4096 2005-05-13 17:30 firefox-1.0.4/
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root   13 2005-05-13 17:29 mozilla -> mozilla-1.7.7/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root 4096 2004-11-19 10:59 mozilla-1.7/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root 4096 2005-03-30 12:11 mozilla-1.7.6/
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root 4096 2005-05-13 17:29 mozilla-1.7.7/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 2005-05-13 17:30 pkgconfig/
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root root   15 2005-05-13 16:42 thunderbird -> thunderbird-1.0/
drwxr-xr-x  10 root root 4096 2005-05-13 16:42 thunderbird-1.0/

Let me know if I can provide more data.

Thanks Again...

android

#30 2005-05-14 10:38:20

Vinny

ld.so.conf is missing a line for the mozilla libs.

# echo "/opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
# ldconfig 

That should help the lizard get started.
But firefox isn't starting either? Hmmm
This one is a real long shot.. If you have been running the
"mozilla" and "mozilla-firefox" commands from a shell that was running before the last upgrade, exit and try again in a new shell.
Still nothing? :?:

$ cd /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox ; ./firefox-bin

and lemme know what happens.

#31 2005-05-14 20:06:40

android

I added the line to ld.conf and reran ldconfig. The mozilla and firefox library paths show in the list:

ldconfig -p | grep mozilla | head
        libxpistub.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/libxpistub.so
        libxpistub.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla/libxpistub.so
        libxpcom_compat.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/libxpcom_compat.so
        libxpcom_compat.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla/libxpcom_compat.so
        libxpcom.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so
        libxpcom.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla/libxpcom.so
        libxlibrgb.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/libxlibrgb.so
        libxlibrgb.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla/libxlibrgb.so
        libssl3.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox/libssl3.so
        libssl3.so (libc6) => /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla/libssl3.so

I ran ldconfig with the mozilla entry first in ld.conf and then with firefox first. After each of these both applications still just hung. After running mozilla this ps shows the mozilla-bin process running:

ps -auxw | grep mozilla -
johnea    9063  0.0  0.1   4688  1372 pts/10   S    10:21   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/mozilla/bin/mozilla
johnea    9066  0.0  0.1   4820  1380 pts/10   S    10:21   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/run-mozilla.sh /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/mozilla-bin
johnea    9071  3.2  1.7  60968 17192 pts/10   Sl   10:21   0:00 /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.7.7/mozilla-bin
root      9078  0.0  0.0   3480   588 pts/10   S+   10:22   0:00 grep mozilla

But still no GUI opens. Running mozilla -v does return the version info and exit correctly.

I had one breakthrough by renaming the ~/.mozilla directory. After this change firefox will start and the first time it's run it creates a new default .mozilla. However mozilla still hangs, even with this new parameter subdir.

This issue with migration of the .mozilla directory contents has bitten me before. I remember thinking it was funny, on a previous revision that gave me trouble, mozilla would import it's settings from netscape, but not from a previous version of itself 8-)

Some kind of a tool or process for managing or browsing this directory would sure help. I'm not even sure where mozilla mail and thunderbird are storing the local mail. I keep mail primarily on the IMAP server, but I sort of count on my local copy as a backup. (only "sort of" since I can't even locate it at present 8-)

So at this point mozilla will still not start.

I'll post any new info I uncover, and I really appreciate the help in getting this fixed.

Thanks Again!

android

#32 2005-05-14 22:39:14

Vinny

Mozilla is running but no window opens  :idea:
I've seen that happen when I was fooling around with custom
keybindings and was missing a .jar file in moz's chrome/ dir.
Other corrupt/missing files might do this too.
You can check all the .jars like this

find /opt/mozilla/lib/* -name *.jar -exec zip -T {} ; | grep -v OK

If that doesn't show anything interesting, I, ummm....

When in doubt, use brute force

pacman -F -f /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mozilla-firefox-1.0.4-1.pkg.tar.gz
pacman -F -f /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mozilla-1.7.7-1.pkg.tar.gz

Local mail for the suite is in ~/.mozilla/default/blahblah.slt/Mail/Local Folders
(yes that is a space in the dir name. mumble grumble pflargh.)
not sure about t-bird but I think it's the same except replace 'default' with 'thunderbird' and '.slt' with '.default'

Board footer