You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-15 05:40:09

CPUnltd
Website

Printer issue: All pages after first one come out horribly wrong.

Install: Arch64
Printer: Canon MP520
Connection: USB
Programs printed from: All
Driver: AUR mp520 packages
Problem start: recent... last couple of days

Description: printer was working fine until I decided to print something a few days ago.  I was printing a resume and all the pages after the first (only 3 pages long) came out as if the data got corrupted during it's send to the printer... the first 10th of the page was repeated all the way down the page with large black squares in various places (patterned like the actual part of the page that was printed repeatedly down the sheet)... I have tested this and proven it is the second and all following pages in an individual print (if I print all 3 pages of this resume one at a time, back to back, they all print out in consecutive order with no errors... and I can put in the jobs so that they overlap and it "looks" like a single job). 

If anyone is willing to help, ask any and every question necessary to get this figured out, cause it's bugging me like nothing else... it's a hassle to print each page individually (has the same effect when printing PDFs from epdfview as well as prints from within GIMP) and I'd like to have my printer back to normal.  Restarting the printer has not worked.  The only thing I can think that I haven't tried is restarting the desktop, but I have a VERY long data download (2 days in) that I'd sincerely hate to have to start over for this error, as it's more than halfway done at this point... so I'm saving that as a last resort to be tried after my download completes... if anyone can come up with some things to try while the comp stays up & online, that would be great... below is a list of things I've tried.

Things I've tried:
* restarting cups
* restarting hal
* restarting printer
* physically removing and reconnecting printer

all other suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: almost forgot, cups.error is 0kb in size and completely empty, so no output to work with on that level, telling me the error may possibly be in the printer itself, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by CPUnltd (2010-12-15 05:42:08)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2010-12-15 12:10:03

hokasch

Re: Printer issue: All pages after first one come out horribly wrong.

#3 2010-12-15 14:27:44

xduugu

And the arch bug entry with some workarounds.

#4 2010-12-15 19:35:13

CPUnltd
Website

the ghostscript option looks stalemated at the moment (last post yesterday), but it IS the issue I'm having... it's printing overlay... but the arch bug report seems to be talking about color problems, not printing overlay after the first page... unless I'm reading it all wrong...

#5 2010-12-15 21:47:29

Leonid.I

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#6 2010-12-15 23:45:17

CPUnltd
Website

now the fun part... how do I downgrade?

#7 2010-12-16 23:40:44

CPUnltd
Website

interesting development... printing business cards with GIMP with Gutenprint and consecutive prints come out just fine (just did a set of 30)... how does this affect the problem that we are having with these printers?  Can people with other printers that have this same issue (canon as well as others) do a few tests with Gimp+Gutenprint to see if they experience different results (pretty sure 2 consecutive prints should be enough.  I'm guessing Gutenprint is a separate printing "engine" (I know, probably a bad term to use, but it's what came to mind) so I'm wondering what could be done as far as being able to use Gutenprint in other programs or what other possible solutions this info may present.

Disclaimer: I'm probably showing my noob with this statement, cause I don't really know the details when it comes to printing in linux, but I'm still noting my experience nonetheless... and if I look a little "dumber" because of that, so be it! big_smile  Gotta learn somehow...

#8 2010-12-17 04:20:05

BurntSushi
Website

I had this problem and have had some success by adding this to my cups configuration file:

RIPCache 1024m

It doesn't always work, but it does seem to work better.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#9 2010-12-17 04:50:32

CPUnltd
Website

is there anywhere in particular that line should go?

#10 2010-12-17 05:54:31

BurntSushi
Website

I just put it at the bottom.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#11 2011-01-13 00:28:03

CPUnltd
Website

I have noticed a lot of updates come through the system lately, but nothing related to ghostscript.  Anybody know know if there's been any progress on this issue?

#12 2011-01-13 09:33:30

stryder

There's ghostscript-svn in aur you can try. I'm using it but haven't tested it to any great extent.

#13 2011-01-13 10:37:04

CPUnltd
Website

testing soon... will give feedback... thanks

#14 2011-01-14 00:15:37

firecat53
Website

I also suffered this problem with my Canon Printer (uhhh, model name escapes me atm...). Ghostscript-svn installed today seems to fix the problem (only tested once...YMMV).

Scott

#15 2011-01-14 19:22:29

CPUnltd
Website

haven't had anything to test with just yet, but I'll be dropping feedback soon... I realize I don't print often unless it's flyers or business related material... I prefer to be as digital as possible. tongue

Board footer