You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-15 12:05:54

BitMaster

Improvements for Xen4 on latest kernel

I have installed Xen4.0.1 on Arch using this wiki article. This also means i had to use the kernel version included with the pkgbuild.
After downgrading udev to 151 (because the latest version causes some kernel panics), everything works like a charm.

A few days later, i read about Xen4 in a magazine. It stated that it should be possible to run Xen4 on kernel 2.6.36. But when i try to build the dom0 kernel on arch it fails. I googled for this problem and found something about "Jeremy's kernel". I tried to build the dom0 kernel with these sources, but it failed too. The magazine also stated that the latest kernel has some improvements for Xen, like PVUSB and PVSCSI.

The idea is to install Xen4 on a production server, so stability is criterion #1, but performance is also important. Could anyone advise me if i have to try and patch the kernel myself (code skills are ok, but almost no knowledge about linux kernels, so i can only 1. search on google, or 2. make minor syntax adjustements), or just use the old version.

Also, i'm still looking for a nice (web-based) administration for Xen. I found several, but most of them are for RedHat and the others just won't work.

Please tell me what the best option is, or maybe share something about how you have solved it in your own environment smile

Board footer