You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-15 22:46:59

Captain Dunce

[SOLVED]Icecast problem

I recently switched to Arch Linux and so far everything has been gravy, however, I cannot get icecast working despite hours searching online and trying every possible combination of settings to make it work.  I have used icecast before and NEVER had this much difficulty.  Is there something unique to Arch or the Arch icecast package that I'm unaware of? Buggy?
The icecast server just will not start. 
After install I did this:

[dunce@TheValve ~]$ sudo  icecast  -c /etc/icecast.xml
Changed groupid to 99.
Changed userid to 99.

^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 sudo icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml
[dunce@TheValve ~]$   icecast  -c /etc/icecast.xml
Server startup failed. Exiting

This was written in error.log, access.log blank:
2011-01-15  14:18:53] INFO main/main Icecast 2.3.2 server started
[2011-01-15  14:18:53] INFO fserve/fserv_thread_function file serving thread started
[2011-01-15  14:18:53] INFO yp/yp_update_thread YP update thread started
[2011-01-15  14:18:53] INFO connection/get_ssl_certificate No SSL capability on any configured ports

OK, the first time I tried to start icecast after install it seemed to start, I hit ctr-z and I presumed icecast stopped(I also tried killall icecast in a seperate terminal).  Now I entered the exact same command line and now I get the server startup failed message. Now I'm  really frustrated. 
In icecast.xml I left everything untouched except for changing passwords, hostname,port # to 7000(which has always worked in the past) and the changeuser section, though I left chroot off (0).  In previous icecast installs my difficulty could be traced to icecast being unable to write to the log files but icecast IS able to write to the error.log so I'm feeling pretty flummoxed at the moment.

I think that all my file permissions are correct but I could be wrong.

I'm sure the answer is something that will blow my mind as to how simple it is but at the moment I guess even simple answers are evading me.  I should point out that Arch Linux is perhaps one level above where I ought to be but I've learned SO MUCH from struggling to get everything perfectly functional that I really have zero intererest in other distros.  So please please HELP!!!  My own brain is starting to hurt and I need to tag out for a while.

Last edited by Captain Dunce (2011-01-16 00:44:37)

#2 2011-01-16 00:32:48

Captain Dunce

Re: [SOLVED]Icecast problem

Well I think I solved my problem.   I changed the port number to 4000 and could connect to icecast server.  That's great but I still don't know WHY I can't connect on a higher port number.  Any help would be appreciated.

#3 2011-01-16 00:43:24

Captain Dunce

Re: [SOLVED]Icecast problem

All right, got it now.  For some reason there were multiple instances of icecast running and they were not responding to sudo killall or sudo kill 'PID'.  The ony way I can kill icecast is with sudo pkill -9 icecast.  After figuring out the multiple instances issue I can now connect on whichever port I please.  Well all right Hamilton!

Board footer