You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-30 22:12:26

kdar

Cyrillic or Asian text in documents and in Dolphin are ? marks

Somehow, I solved this problem on my other computer (which is using arch too), but I forgot what I done. I believe installed some fonts, but don't remember which.

At the moment, on my laptop... any files or folders with names writen in Cyrillic or Asian language get displayed as array of question marks.

Same is when I try to open document writen in cyrillic or some asian language --- just question marks.

What do I need to install to fix this?

Last edited by kdar (2010-12-30 22:13:03)

#2 2010-12-30 23:05:32

thisoldman

Re: Cyrillic or Asian text in documents and in Dolphin are ? marks

Often this problem is solved by installing fonts that contain the missing characters.  Check the Fonts article in the wiki.

To find (most of) the fonts you have installed on the computer where the characters display correctly, you can run

pacman -Qe | grep ttf

I'd also check /etc/locale.gen on both machines to make sure they're the same.  See the locale article in the wiki.

There may be other reasons for Dolphin not displaying correctly.  Unfortunately, I haven't used KDE for a couple years, and I'm unable to help with anything KDE specific.

#3 2011-01-15 21:24:36

caminoix
Website

Also, you might want to make sure that you use the same encoding on both machines (the preferred choice is Unicode). Encoding is set together with locale, so as thisoldman suggested, take a look at the locale article in the wiki.

#4 2011-01-16 01:54:34

gorudonu

Eveything is written here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … onal_users

I have also generated locale.

Board footer