You are not logged in.

#151 2010-11-03 21:09:16

dauerbaustelle

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

With the latest changes, statusbar-change-on-hover broke; motion-notify is fired for every mouse move which overrides the status bar. Deactivating that signal fixes the problem.

Furthermore hints are broken. Dunno why, though.

#152 2010-11-03 22:25:54

portix

Thanks, fixed the issue with motion-notify. I haven't changed the hint-script for several weeks now, i have no idea why it does not work for you anymore.

#153 2010-11-05 13:24:22

Psyce

Hey portix,

cloned ure latest version yesterday and have to say, its the best till now. All worked like a charm.

Keep going !

greetz Psyce

#154 2010-11-05 15:41:46

dauerbaustelle

Ah, I have to put hints.js into scripts/, not userscripts/.

#155 2010-11-09 21:34:52

arane

Figured out why the crashes were happening and so far I've managed to get it 100%:
If I open a saved session and attempt to close one of the views without letting the others fully load, the entire browser crashes.

I'm still getting the issue with scrolling, but reproducing it is tedious at best and I don't get any errors from it, just the clean exit message other users are getting.

#156 2010-11-09 23:33:43

portix

arane wrote:

Figured out why the crashes were happening and so far I've managed to get it 100%:
If I open a saved session and attempt to close one of the views without letting the others fully load, the entire browser crashes.

I'm still getting the issue with scrolling, but reproducing it is tedious at best and I don't get any errors from it, just the clean exit message other users are getting.

I cannot reproduce this. There was another issue when closing a tab which i fixed in the last revision. Maybe it is related to your problem.

#157 2010-11-13 23:28:46

firecat53
Website

Hey, several more questions/problems
1. When 'private browsing' is enabled, it still seems to keep the history. Is that a feature that's not entirely implemented yet?
2. There is an 'HTTP-proxy' setting...can that be adjusted to also use a SOCKS proxy, or is that better left to an outside program like tsocks?
3. While I appreciate the vikit.js script, is there a way to actually set an arbitrary external editor to use for textareas?
4.  Is it possible to scroll a textarea (for example a box of source code here on the forums) when hovering over it with the mouse, instead of scrolling the entire page? There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll those boxes, except by dragging the scroll bar. Even clicking in them first (which would be a perfect way to activate the feature) doesn't help.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2010-11-13 23:52:31)

#158 2010-11-14 10:37:35

portix

firecat53 wrote:

Hey, several more questions/problems
1. When 'private browsing' is enabled, it still seems to keep the history. Is that a feature that's not entirely implemented yet?

The private browsing property only sets the webkit internal private browsing property, i will fix this with the next revision.

firecat53 wrote:

2. There is an 'HTTP-proxy' setting...can that be adjusted to also use a SOCKS proxy, or is that better left to an outside program like tsocks?

You can use the HTTP-proxy setting for a SOCKS proxy.

firecat53 wrote:

3. While I appreciate the vikit.js script, is there a way to actually set an arbitrary external editor to use for textareas?

No, there is no way to use an external editor. I'm planning to add support for scripts (there currently is support for scripts, but it only calls the script with the url as an argument), which should make it possible.

firecat53 wrote:

4.  Is it possible to scroll a textarea (for example a box of source code here on the forums) when hovering over it with the mouse, instead of scrolling the entire page? There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll those boxes, except by dragging the scroll bar. Even clicking in them first (which would be a perfect way to activate the feature) doesn't help.

This behaviour is not intended. I will try to fix it the next days.

#159 2010-11-14 18:27:46

firecat53
Website

Cool, thanks for the reply!

portix wrote:

You can use the HTTP-proxy setting for a SOCKS proxy.

Ok, I tried this, and made sure the proxy setting was 'true', but it was not using the proxy URL (set to http://localhost:4500). It was just responding as if no proxy was set at all, regardless of the proxy setting.

Thanks!
Scott

#160 2010-11-14 18:50:37

portix

I just realized that there is a bug setting the proxy-url. Just set the proxy-url to localhost:4500 without leading http://, this should work. I will fix this soon.

#161 2010-11-14 19:09:28

firecat53
Website

@portix - hmmm, tried that and it switches to the proxy url, but it won't load any pages. I also tried with tsocks, just to make sure my socks proxy was functioning properly and that worked fine.

Thanks,
Scott

#162 2010-11-15 14:42:52

portix

Ok, i was wrong at this point. Libsoup which is used for proxy support only
implements HTTP-proxy.

I added support for userscripts in the branch userscripts and also added two
examples, one for youtube-dl and one for using an external editor in textareas.
The scripts must be copied to ~/.config/dwb/userscripts.

#163 2010-12-14 23:43:38

PGMario

Thank you very much for this awesome browser, portix! I tried all of the other minimalist browsers out there and yours is the one I like best. Great features, good defaults, and by far the easiest to customize. Keep up the great work!

#164 2011-01-15 17:15:20

firecat53
Website

Hey, just wondering if it'd be possible to add a 'show quickmarks' command (gq) ? I always forget some of my less used ones smile

Also, I've noticed that when dwb can't find a page (typically when I'm using tsocks dwb, and the socks connection has gone down) that the CPU use keeps climbing and climbing and I have to kill the process manually.

Thanks!
Scott

Edit: One more glitch -- the settings page displays fine on a big monitor, but on my laptop it looks like this. The checkboxes aren't there and things are kind of run together. Any ideas?

Last edited by firecat53 (2011-01-15 22:46:14)

#165 2011-01-16 17:29:36

portix

firecat53 wrote:

Hey, just wondering if it'd be possible to add a 'show quickmarks' command (gq) ? I always forget some of my less used ones smile

I have no plans to add such a command, but i added a load_html command that can be used in userscripts and wrote a perlscript, that shows the quickmarks. To use it just save this script in ~/.config/dwb/userscripts, it must be executable of course. You also need the latest revision to get this  working.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# dwb: gq

my $profile = $ARGV[1];
my $QUICKMARK_FILE = "$ENV{'XDG_CONFIG_HOME'}/dwb/$profile/quickmarks";

open ($file, $QUICKMARK_FILE);
my $load_string;
while (my $line =  <$file>) {
  my ($key, $url, $title) = split(' ', $line, 3);
  $title =~ s/\n//;
  $load_string .= "$key <a href=\"$url\">$title</a></br>";
}
close $file;
print("load_html $load_string");

Edit: An easier approach of course, would be to simply add a quickmark to your quickmarkfile.

firecat53 wrote:

Also, I've noticed that when dwb can't find a page (typically when I'm using tsocks dwb, and the socks connection has gone down) that the CPU use keeps climbing and climbing and I have to kill the process manually.

Edit: One more glitch -- the settings page displays fine on a big monitor, but on my laptop it looks like this. The checkboxes aren't there and things are kind of run together. Any ideas?

Thanks for reporting, i will try to fix this when i find time the next days.

Last edited by portix (2011-01-16 17:33:21)

#166 2011-01-16 21:00:40

firecat53
Website

portix wrote:

Edit: An easier approach of course, would be to simply add a quickmark to your quickmarkfile.

Doh! Of course it'd be so simple!
q file:///home/firecat53/.config/dwb/default/quickmarks

Thanks smile
Scott

#167 2011-01-23 22:31:33

cbrunos

This browser really is sweet. I will need to do some key configuring since I use a french bépo keyboard but it shouldn't take long. By the way, is there a way to add support for webm? Also, I searched, but didn't find anything, how can I configure search engines? For example, I want to write «g archlinux» and have a google search with keyword archlinux.
Is there something like Firefox's awesome bar? How do I restore a session I save with ZZ?

Sorry for all those questions, I looked, but didn't find anything…

Last edited by cbrunos (2011-01-24 00:34:04)

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#168 2011-01-23 23:38:00

PGMario

On my setup (rev 232-1 on Arch with awesome wm) the progress of loading a page is almost never shown, and if at all it only shows a percentage which is not updated, like "48%". Is there any way to fix this?

Keep up the great work, very appreciated!

#169 2011-01-24 02:31:27

portix

@cbrunos: Webkit already supports webm, so this should work already. To add a new searchengine, navigate to the site of the searchengine you want to add, press 'gs', you can choose a textentry with  tab if there are more than one textentry and then enter a keyword. This may not work on all sites, but i will reimplement it at  the earliest if this could be done without javascript. You can also add searchengines manually in ~/.config/dwb/searchengines. Note that the first searchengine in ~/.config/dwb/searchengines, that is the first engine you added, will be your default searchengine.

You can either restore a session with from commandline with dwb -r [sessionname], where sessionname is optional, or you can set the property "save-session", that will allways save the session and restore the last session when you restart dwb.

I noticed that you also asked for something like an adblocker, before you edited your post, you can either set the property "adblocker" and define a filterlist in ~/.config/dwb/adblock (see man page for details) or use privoxy.

I don't know, what firefox's awesome bar is, but i guess no.

@PGMario:
I fixed this and changed the form, the status  is displayed. The status is now indicated through a progressbar in the statusbar, the percentage is only shown in the window title.

Last edited by portix (2011-01-24 02:37:02)

#170 2011-01-24 02:47:07

firecat53
Website

Hey Portix, I don't have any checkmark boxes in the configure menu (Sgs) -- it's all aligned nicely now though smile

Edit: I've also noticed that when running dwb with tsocks, the pages on the Arch Forums take a long time to load unless I hit a key (like j or k, etc...). Very strange and I almost didn't notice it, but I tested it several times tonight. It doesn't happen on all websites...I'll try to find another that responds that way. I know that sounds a bit crazy smile. I'll click the link and wait like 5 to 10 seconds for a forum page to load, whereas I can load a page in a second or two if I hit 'j' right after I click the link. Doesn't do this when I'm not using tsocks. Anyone else care to try this out? Am I nuts??

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2011-01-24 05:42:10)

#171 2011-01-24 09:50:10

cbrunos

@portix

Thanks a lot for your instructions, this browser just keeps getting better! \o/

The awesome bar works the following way; you type a keyword in your adress bar, for example «tiling» and Firefox will show you every website you already visited with this keyword in it. This permits the user to navigate faster to a site, without having to type the entire adress. You fire uo dwb, type tiling, and chose this thread in the list and done.

Oh and by the way, I saw it is possible to enable spellcheck, for french I tried fr and as it didn't work I tried fr_FR.utf8 (like my locale) but no luck either. How can I enable spellcheck?

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#172 2011-01-24 10:24:18

portix

@firecat:
i will do some tests with tsocks the next days.

Edit: The thing with the missing checkboxes is really strange, i wasn't able to reproduce it yet. Are you using a stylesheet file?

@cbrunos:
There is a tabcompletion, you can type a word and then press tab to complete previously visited websites, bookmarks or input. There are also shortcuts for only completing history (C-F), bookmarks (C-B), input (C-I), searchengins (C-S) and userscripts (C-U). These shortcuts are all case-sensitive, so C-F means control-shift-f.
To enable spellcheck you have to install the appropriate aspell package, in your case aspell-fr.

Last edited by portix (2011-01-24 11:57:11)

#173 2011-01-24 14:59:46

firecat53
Website

@portix: Nope -- Here are the files I have in .dwb/config and the settings file. Nothing tricky!

Thanks,
Scott

#174 2011-01-24 16:52:04

Varg

first of all, great job with this browser !
I didn't really had the chance yet to exstensively test it but I've found a problem with the colour settings. I'm using a dark gtk theme ( running Awesome WM, theme is set with theme-switch ) and in an input field that gives me black text on a dark grey background. When I use a lighter theme it works fine, black text on light background but then the checkboxes are white on white. Is there a option to change text or background colour of input fields ?

#175 2011-01-24 17:28:53

portix

@firecat:
I have no idea at the moment why the checkboxes do not appear in your settings. I will do some tests next weekend.
@Varg
There is no option for this, but you can use a userstylesheet file, e.g. with this content:

input, textarea, select { 
  background-color: #000  !important;
  color:#fff !important; 
}

and set the setting "user-stylesheet-uri" to file:///path/to/stylesheet/file (don't forget the file:// or this won't work). This would give you white text on black background in textinputs, textareas and selections.

There is a new package in AUR called "dwb" which will be a snapshot of a mostly stable revision.

Board footer