You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 08:40:30

pawn_island

aspell / kmail reporting correct words as mistakes

If there is a word that is misspelled then Kmail (1.13.5) does show it underlined in red. Next, when I right-click on the word, I do get a list of suggestions. The problem is that the red-line does not vanish even after I click on a suggestion.

I have run into something very similar when using aspell. If I do:

aspell -c FILE

Then for certain wrongly spelled words, aspell correctly finds them but does not advance further in the file even after I select one of the suggestions (by means of pressing numeric keys like 1, 2...). One such word is 'synchronization'.

$ echo synchronization | aspell list
synchronization

Using 's' instead of 'z' does not help.

$ echo synchronisation | aspell list
synchronisation

It is not that aspell barfs on every legitimate word. For example:

$ echo world | aspell list

I do have aspell and aspell-en installed.

$ pacman -Qs -q aspell
aspell
aspell-en

This problem does not exist when using Firefox (3.6.13). Any help will be appreciated.

#2 2011-01-16 13:21:27

leszabo

Re: aspell / kmail reporting correct words as mistakes

I have the same problem with kwrite (4.5.5) and lyx (2.0beta3).

#3 2011-01-17 00:02:05

egan

I have this problem as well with standalone aspell 0.60.6. Many words are marked incorrect, despite being the same as the suggestion; selecting the suggestion does nothing. I hope someone finds a fix, since it is very annoying. Here are some more examples of words it trips on:

standardization
deteriorating
inconsistent
memorization
phonemically
pronunciation
specifically
additionally
transitional
practicality
aforementioned
respectively
linguistically
difficulties
bibliography
multilingual
multicultural
independence
comprehensive
reformations
encyclopedia
dissertations
implications
instrumental

These are just words from a current draft I am writing. As you can see, aspell appears to be choking on lexemes and derivational morphemes, i.e. "ive", "tion", "al", "ally", "s", "ly", "ed", "ness", "ent".

Last edited by egan (2011-01-17 00:04:31)

#4 2011-01-17 14:03:03

madalu

Let me guess: all the words marked incorrect are 12 or more characters long.

I have the same problem, but only on my 32 bit install, not on my 64 bit install. Strangely, there's an old bug report that claims this happens on 64 bit:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de … tid=100245

Since this problem appeared recently and aspell has not been upgraded Nov 2008, I have no idea where to begin looking for the problem.

Would someone here want to file an upstream bug report? That said, it seems that development of aspell has all but ceased.

I suppose this is as good a reason as any to upgrade to hunspell. smile

#5 2011-01-17 17:08:18

egan

madalu wrote:

I have the same problem, but only on my 32 bit install, not on my 64 bit install. Strangely, there's an old bug report that claims this happens on 64 bit:

Since this problem appeared recently and aspell has not been upgraded Nov 2008, I have no idea where to begin looking for the problem.

Would someone here want to file an upstream bug report? That said, it seems that development of aspell has all but ceased.

If it hasn't been upgraded since November 2008, doesn't that indicate that it isn't an upstream problem? I will try checking an abs build.

On a related note, for what reasons would you recommend hunspell? It's already on my system as a dependency for a few applications, but I haven't used it.

#6 2011-01-17 17:24:11

pawn_island

madalu wrote:

You are right. Using the Moby collection as source of English words:

http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/ilas … ords.tar.Z

In the collection, the list of valid English words is contained in a file named, '113809of.fic'. After renaming it to 'words.txt':

$ cat words.txt | awk '{ if( length($1) > 12) { print $1 } }' | aspell list  | wc -l

$ cat words.txt | awk '{ if( length($1) > 12) { print $1 } }' | wc -l

#7 2011-01-17 17:48:40

madalu

egan wrote:
madalu wrote:

be

If it hasn't been upgraded since November 2008, doesn't that indicate that it isn't an upstream problem? I will try checking an abs build.

I tried an abs build, but it had the same behavior. Could the problem perhaps be due to incompatibilities with more recent versions of gcc? I suppose that's the type of upstream problem I meant. And the fact that a similar bug is still marked open in the bugtracker. But you are right. Perhaps there is something arch-specific that can be changed here.

egan wrote:

On a related note, for what reasons would you recommend hunspell? It's already on my system as a dependency for a few applications, but I haven't used it.

My impression is that it has been dubbed the default spell-checker by some Linux distros (esp. Fedora, which caused something of a furor on the aspell mailing list in 2008). The collective weight of openoffice and mozilla made the difference, I suppose.

I've been using hunspell and have been quite happy with it. It has the advantage of being under active development.

To those who use emacs and flyspell, switching to hunspell is as easy as putting the following in your .emacs:

(setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")

#8 2011-01-17 17:50:49

egan

I think I found something. Rebuilding aspell does nothing, but rebuilding aspell-en fixes the problem. I will open a bug report:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22470

Last edited by egan (2011-01-17 17:57:54)

#9 2011-01-17 18:33:12

pawn_island

egan wrote:

I think I found something. Rebuilding aspell does nothing, but rebuilding aspell-en fixes the problem. I will open a bug report:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22470

@egan: Building aspell-en from ABS worked for me too. Thanks a lot. I did not want to part with aspell; have been using since several years.

Board footer