You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 17:03:15

Tux the penguin

[SOLVED]How to Move xfce Panel

I have a feeling this is gonna be really embarrasing smile , but here goes. I just updated to xfce 4.8. When I logged in I chose for the panel to be restored to default settings when a dialog box popped up. I have a dock-like panel at the bottom, with a normal panel on top, but I want the top panel on the bottom. I deleted the smaller panel at the bottom, but I cant figure out how to move the panels. I know I could move the panels before, but I cant find the option now. Right-clicking panel and then going to "panel" and "panel preferences" doesnt give me an option to move it. Neither does going to panel settings through the setting manager. So, how should i move the panel? hope that's not a stupid question smile  thanks.

Last edited by Tux the penguin (2011-01-18 17:29:57)

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#2 2011-01-18 17:17:46

Kilzool

Re: [SOLVED]How to Move xfce Panel

Same issue.  While I am at it... XMMS stopped working after this update (xfce4 4.8.0) for my normal user -  but, in a terminal > 'sudo xmms'  works. (and before I get 40 replies, yes, I am in audio, games, video, optical, storage, power, and users).  This is the error I get:

Segmentation fault

You've probably found a bug in XMMS, please visit
http://bugs.xmms.org and fill out a bug report.

Now, back to your issue.  What I did, was delete both panels, and remade from scratch.

On another note, after this xfce4 4.8.0 update, my trash icon doesn't let me empty trash with a right click (on the trash icon).
Also, it doesn't let me right click and OPEN trash (on the trash icon).  I can double click the trash icon though to open a new Thunar window, and empty it from that window.

I also have the kernel panics still.
(I'm quite upset at the time to resolve this kernel issue)

I am also quite upset they let this "update" xfce4 4.8.0 actually update my system.

How can I revert to the previous, if the packages were cleared?

Better yet, whose buying me a 12 pack of beer?  wink

I need a hug too.

Can we get some of these things resolved?

Cause I am taking after my kernel and panicking now.

#3 2011-01-18 17:28:58

Tux the penguin

Kilzool wrote:

I need a hug too.

You can't solve problems when you're drunk smile Go ask your mom for a hug smile
Anyway, I think, that you can move the panel if you uncheck the "lock panel" option. I just accidentally figured that out. Should have known the answer was something simple smile

MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#4 2011-01-18 17:44:04

Kilzool

Tux the penguin wrote:
Kilzool wrote:

I need a hug too.

You can't solve problems when you're drunk smile Go ask your mom for a hug smile

That's what you think.  I have a lot of brain storms when I've had a few (not all 12). tongue

And my parents are passed.  So I guess I need to ask my wife for a hug (however, she is at work).
I want a hug now, not after 6pm.  tongue

Anyway, I think, that you can move the panel if you uncheck the "lock panel" option. I just accidentally figured that out. Should have known the answer was something simple smile

I did un-check the 'lock panel' box, and couldn't move that top bar (upon using the default).
So as a I said, I removed both of the newly created panels, and redid them from scratch.

#5 2011-01-18 17:54:07

Kilzool

Perhaps you could tell me how to remove the ".desktop" part of the title in these desktop icons?

desktoprb.png

#6 2011-01-18 19:45:34

Tux the penguin

I don't use many icons, so I don't know. It happens to me too. Perhaps you should start a new thread. Not many people will come to this one now that it is marked solved.

Kilzool wrote:

I did un-check the 'lock panel' box, and couldn't move that top bar (upon using the default).
So as a I said, I removed both of the newly created panels, and redid them from scratch.

OK. I tried your way before realizong the thing about lock panel, so you were right you do have to redo them first. Thanks.

Last edited by Tux the penguin (2011-01-18 19:48:17)

#7 2011-01-18 20:17:20

anthonyclark

Sorry to post on a solved thread....

For anyone that hasn't seen this yet.... http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6896

cheers

#8 2011-01-19 06:36:34

Kilzool

I had so many issues with the upgrade, I wiped everything out and started scratch from a new CD install.

Now my XMMS is working, but now I can't seem to get my Trash icon to appear even though it is selected to show up on desktop.  (even toggling it).

Funny thing, get one thing to work, something else breaks.

#9 2011-05-04 17:51:47

LenPayne

Kilzool wrote:

Sorry for posting to a thread marked "Solved" but this thread came up high in the search for "xfce move panel" and I had this same problem.

I also solved it. Really solved it. Not just "start from scratch" solved it.

The problem is this:
When you unlock the default Panel1, most of the panel is filled with the "Window Buttons" panel applet. So clicking on this applet and dragging will not move the panel.

Instead, do the following:

• Right Click on the Panel

• Go to Panel > Panel Preferences...

• Un-Check "Lock panel"

• Grab the panel by one of the ends. The handles on the ends look like two rows of vertical dots for me.

• Grabbing anywhere but the ends will not move the panel.

• Drag the panel where you want it!

#10 2011-05-04 21:45:21

vacant

To be fair to the XFCE docs

Lock panel
Don't show the handles on the panel which allow you to move the panel. When this option is disabled, you can drag the panel anywhere you want on your screen. The panel will also snap to the edges of your screen.

Board footer