You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-16 12:00:17

vinyl

install package with extra switches

Is it possible to install a package with extra switches that you would normally give with the configure command?

#2 2005-05-16 13:09:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: install package with extra switches

It certainly is. You'll need to get to know how to use ABS - the ARCH Build System - and all the info is on the wiki here.

#3 2005-05-16 14:17:52

fetreney2000

If you mean installing the package from the repo with extra switch then AFAIK, the answer is no. If you want extra switch, you need to recompile the software yourself using ABS as tomk suggested.

#4 2005-05-16 14:51:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

vinyl wrote:

Is it possible to install a package with extra switches that you would normally give with the configure command?

this is what srcpac was made for - run "pacman -S srcpac" and then check out the man page (there's alot to explain)

however, as noted, you're going to have to recompile the app, but it's not all that hard with srcpac.... you add the additional line in srcpac.conf and run "srcpac -S some_app"... if there is no line in srcpac.conf, srcpac installs the app through pacman... it's very cool

for the record, if the repos had one package for every switch, they would grow to huge proportions... imagine 20 vim packages, one for each flag... and that's just vim... KDE and gnome would make the repos hit huge proportions...

#5 2005-05-16 15:07:18

vinyl

Yeah I understand you point ofcourse.

Only I just made the package with the PKGBUILD file, the package I am tryin g to build is pure-ftpd with mysql support.

Now I made the package, only it does not make the config file (/etc/pure-ftpd.conf) and the script to start it (/etc/rc.d/pure-ftpd)..So I did copied those files from the package that pacman installs by default... only its not working(yet)

Any idea's ?

#6 2005-05-16 15:11:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

vinyl wrote:

Yeah I understand you point ofcourse.

Only I just made the package with the PKGBUILD file, the package I am tryin g to build is pure-ftpd with mysql support.

Now I made the package, only it does not make the config file (/etc/pure-ftpd.conf) and the script to start it (/etc/rc.d/pure-ftpd)..So I did copied those files from the package that pacman installs by default... only its not working(yet)

Any idea's ?

Ok, I think what you're looking for is abs... (try "man abs"):
run "abs" once and it will check out PKGBUILDs for all repo packages.  browse to the PKGBUILD for pure-ftpd (probably in /var/abs/extra/network) and add the flag, then run "makepkg" - you'll have everything the standard package has

#7 2005-05-16 15:18:23

vinyl

And if I dont run a Xwindow system? I can just copy it to an empty folder and customize the package script there and then run makepkg...?

#8 2005-05-16 15:37:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

vinyl wrote:

And if I dont run a Xwindow system? I can just copy it to an empty folder and customize the package script there and then run makepkg...?

you don't need X for anything I mentioned... all these utilities are command line based...

and yes, technically you should copy what abs PKGBUILDs you change to /var/abs/local (that's the preferred method)

#9 2005-05-16 16:57:06

vinyl

Ok I got it working just like you said, now all I have to do is HOW to get pure-ftpd to use a Mysql database for its users...

Thanks so faR!

Board footer