You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-17 16:22:44

blizz

Reinstalling arch without touching /home

Hi!

I really messed up my filesystem in library. I added to pacman multilib; I did pacman -Su and something goes wrong.. never mind..

1. I tried to set up new arch without touching everything, I was thinking that when I install base category I repair base components (include library  /lib and /usr/lib ) but it was the same, so.. Is there any solution to do this?

2. If not...
I have / mountpoint and /home on the same partition. My whole data are on /home it's over 400gb.
How can I seperate /home directory to new partition WITHOUT touching the data, and then reinstall my arch OS?

#2 2011-01-17 16:27:31

SS4

Re: Reinstalling arch without touching /home

1. Have you tried

pacman -Syy base base-devel

(you may need to force the install of some packages)

2. i) if possible back up your data or at least the most important stuff

ii) http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/mov … partition/, It says ubuntu but you can use arch still, you will need to make sure the new partition is big enough though and I'd still recommend having a backup of everything you can

Last edited by SS4 (2011-01-17 16:28:26)

Rauchen verboten

#3 2011-01-17 16:47:33

eDio

As a simple and quick solution, make a new partition for your root, say sdaX. Then, delete everything except home on your current partition, say sdaY and move everything from sdaY/home to sdaY/. Your data will stay here so this won't take much time to move.
Then install fresh arch to sdaX.

#4 2011-01-18 00:32:31

hokasch

2. If not...
I have / mountpoint and /home on the same partition. My whole data are on /home it's over 400gb.
How can I seperate /home directory to new partition WITHOUT touching the data, and then reinstall my arch OS?

I think you mean you do not have a seperate mount point for /home, so /home resides on root? In this case, you can also just delete everything besides /home from the arch installer environment, then start the setup and install arch. Now I do not believe the installer will recreate-override /home, but anyway you can rename it to something else for the moment. Just make sure not to select "create new filesystem"...

... and backup...

#5 2011-01-20 03:16:17

TWILisawesome

eDio wrote:

As a simple and quick solution, make a new partition for your root, say sdaX. Then, delete everything except home on your current partition, say sdaY and move everything from sdaY/home to sdaY/. Your data will stay here so this won't take much time to move.
Then install fresh arch to sdaX.

Just to add to this, you will need a Live CD/USB to do this.  I'd suggest Ubuntu, because gparted is already included.

But you probably already knew that tongue

Board footer