You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 13:21:33

broken pipe

run arch in RAM

hi all,
would it be possible, or is there any "easy" way to entirely run arch from ram? i think archie (?) has this nice cp2ram options but i couldn't find any more information about that or how it works.
this issue was already discussed in the gentoo forums (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-29 … +copy.html) but i don't know if it works on arch or if it's really worth doing!?
i have lot's of unused ram and would like to transfer more stuff into ram to speed things up! smile

best regards

#2 2011-01-20 13:49:18

Gusar

Re: run arch in RAM

It won't speed up applications, just possibly their loading time. And even that at the expense of a *much* longer boot time, so really, you're not getting anything by putting everything into ram.

#3 2011-01-20 14:27:05

karol
Archivist

What exactly are you trying to speed up?
Apps are loaded into RAM anyway when you use them, so you may end up with a much slower system boot (you load it ALL into RAM) and than open the few apps you use instantly.
Edit: ... as Gusar already wrote.

RAM is pretty cheap nowadays so selling it is not the best idea either.

Last edited by karol (2011-01-20 14:27:54)

#4 2011-01-20 14:40:57

ANOKNUSA

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64281

Running entirely from ram also leaves open the possibility of losing important data after a crash.  Check out the preload and go-preload packages, and loading certain directories (such as /tmp) into ram.  Despite using KDE, I usually find myself with two-thirds of my ram available even with several apps open, so I like to devote as much of it as possible to everything I can--typically, nepomuk and pre-loaded apps.

#5 2011-01-20 16:11:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps CKArchLive is your ticket.  It runs from CD or Flash and has cp2ram option.

Downloads from Calimero teknik, is a french  adoption of arch, the download has an english option at boot time.

Operating in ram with a flash unit provides the fastest boot time (23 secs in my computer in cp2ram).

My computer uses Compact Flash 2GB with a sata adapter.

There is no HDD in the system so power consumption is down and latency is not a problem.

All operations occur in ram as you desired.

Look for Calimero's posts.

Don't give up the ship~!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2011-01-20 16:29:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

As to loss of data, ince the system is couched in Flash, there can be no problem if the system crashes...just reboot.

Reboot from the cp2ram system can be as fast as pressing the reset button on the computer which wipes the ram "toot de suite" and Flash is unaffected.

If using Flash from USB, the boot time will be much longer.  However, if copied to ram, the system will be at maximum PERFORMANCE, regardless of the  fact that normal operations run in ram with a hdd , CD or USB based OS.

Latest packages compatible with the installed kernel can be downloaded and operated in a given session.

Operating in this manner prevents any corruption of the system since the Flash devices retains its stored program.

When operating in cp2ram, the flash device can be removed, as a matter of note.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2011-01-20 16:51:57

Gusar

lilsirecho wrote:

the system will be at maximum PERFORMANCE

There will be no performance difference. The only difference is, app data isn't read from a disk when the app starts. But once the app starts, it's all the same. So where should this performance come from?

#8 2011-01-20 17:47:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

Gusar:

You stated the PERFORMANCE item very well...the "starting" is already in ram with the "live" cp2ram system.

#9 2011-01-20 18:38:07

Gusar

That's not performance, that's just loading times. By "performance" I understand an app actually working faster.

#10 2011-01-20 19:44:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

If the loading is eliminated, that is PERFORMANCE...however small!

#11 2011-01-20 22:15:51

ANOKNUSA

I think you need to perform a cost/benefit analysis here.  What DE/WM are you using?  Just how much ram are we talking about?  Won't preloading those programs which lag the most during start-up be enough?  Do you wan't to go through what was described in that Gentoo forums thread--repartitioning your hard drive and reinstalling Arch, or migrating/installing to a new flash drive--to save a couple seconds?  Are those couple seconds so valuable that you're willing to wait a couple of minutes for your machine to boot up first? If everything's sitting in ram, you may be lacking the space necessary to suspend to ram, and will need to suspend to disk--which will further increase start-up time.  Again, I'm not sure how much ram you've got.  In the end, if you really want to significantly improve overall performance, you'll need a new cpu.  As a half-assed analogy, think of your box as a car:  sticking more fuel in the tank won't make it go faster, but widening the fuel line and changing the fuel type will help acceleration, as more fuel will be immediately available to the engine. 

As for CKArchlive, that looks to be an Arch-spin in the spirit of Puppy, using a minimal Openbox setup.  It's fast because it requires little ram or cpu power, not because it's maximized the amount of ram it can use.

#12 2011-01-20 22:38:43

lilsirecho
Veteran

Using Compact Flash @ 45MB/s provides minimum access time for a package..no seek time latency.  This move is much better than doubling the cpu speed, but if the ram speed is doubled, that is a direct one-to-one increase in PERFORMANCE.

New computers are not cheap.

All the ram is available in cp2ram, even 64GB.  My system is x86_64 in CTK and is very snappy even with kdenlive, HP printer, VLC, SMplayer,Gimp. jumanji, qtfm , ranger among others.

Can't lose with a trial download and DD to Flash...Compact Flash in IDE mode is best.

#13 2011-01-21 10:27:11

Gusar

lilsirecho wrote:

If the loading is eliminated, that is PERFORMANCE...however small!

Please explain to me how performance is better once the app is loaded.

#14 2011-01-21 11:27:31

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

If you are going down the run in ram route I would create a large tmpfs using SSD/CF disks

Live distros do run faster in ram but when you shutdown you lose all your data/settings/configs no real gain in my eyes

my2c

Mr Green

#15 2011-04-17 03:10:52

lilsirecho
Veteran

When using CTK all changes in the Live session can be saved via addons and will be available upon reboot.

I have performed two consecutive upgrade addons which retain the added items in Live session.

It takes a little time but is worth it.

Cp2ram takes 10 seconds of boot time with a block CF device, the CF running in IDE mode @ 45MB/sec. read speed.  Read only live system.......................

Board footer