You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 15:53:13

erkin

(solved) xmonad doesn't work.

The first time I installed xmonad, it said it can't work because the lack of "~/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux" executable file. I reinstalled xmonad and xmonad-contrib as adviced, but still the same error. Then I tried "xmonad --recompile", but it said I also lack "~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs". I checked ~/.xmonad directory only to find out that I don't even have it. So I created a .xmonad directory and copied the "/usr/share/xmonad-0.9.2/man/xmonad.hs/" in it. Then I retried "xmonad --recompile" and this time it worked and I found the executable file in it this time. But after I tried to start it, it said "xmonad-x86_64-linux: user error (openDisplay)" (I have no idea what it means.). I reinstalled the packages again and recompiled it again but still nothing... Also if I use startx (with .xinitrc with exec xmonad in it) instead of just xmonad, I see a wholly empty black screen. What should I do?

Last edited by erkin (2011-01-20 15:14:12)

#2 2011-01-19 16:00:40

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: (solved) xmonad doesn't work.

Mr Green

#3 2011-01-19 16:14:20

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

erkin wrote:

The first time I installed xmonad, it said it can't work because the lack of "~/.xmonad/xmonad-x86_64-linux" executable file. I reinstalled xmonad and xmonad-contrib as adviced, but still the same error. Then I tried "xmonad --recompile", but it said I also lack "~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs". I checked ~/.xmonad directory only to find out that I don't even have it. So I created a .xmonad directory and copied the "/usr/share/xmonad-0.9.2/man/xmonad.hs/" in it. Then I retried "xmonad --recompile" and this time it worked and I found the executable file in it this time. But after I tried to start it, it said "xmonad-x86_64-linux: user error (openDisplay)" (I have no idea what it means.). I reinstalled the packages again and recompiled it again but still nothing... Also if I use startx (with .xinitrc with exec xmonad in it) instead of just xmonad, I see a wholly empty black screen. What should I do?

1. xmonad can not run without X as you discovered. "xmonad-x86_64-linux: user error (openDisplay)" == you are trying to start xmonad without X running.

2. Black screen == perfectly normal. That is how xmonad looks by default. If you have xterm installed, press mod-shift-enter to spawn one.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-01-20 15:13:52

erkin

Mr.Elendig wrote:
erkin wrote:

1. xmonad can not run without X as you discovered. "xmonad-x86_64-linux: user error (openDisplay)" == you are trying to start xmonad without X running.

2. Black screen == perfectly normal. That is how xmonad looks by default. If you have xterm installed, press mod-shift-enter to spawn one.

Thank you. That's what I needed to know.

Board footer