You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 21:36:43

brianji03

[SOLVED] Fusion Icon Problems & Trash Won't Work

I went to the wiki to firgure out how to install compiz correctly. I have installed compiz before on arch linux with the same hardware I have now. However, compiz is failing to start for me through fusion-icon.

This is the error I get through the terminal when I run either fusion-icon or dbus-launch "fusion-icon"
* Detected Session: gnome
* Searching for installed applications...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/fusion-icon", line 57, in <module>
    from FusionIcon.interface import choose_interface
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 23, in <module>
    import start
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/start.py", line 36, in <module>
    config.check()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/util.py", line 368, in check
    self.create_config_file()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FusionIcon/util.py", line 402, in create_config_file
    self.write(open(self.config_file, 'w'))
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/brian/.config/compiz/fusion-icon'

Compiz will run through compiz-manager but I find it very glitchy.

When I try to delete stuff into trash, it will not let me.
Unable to create trash dir /home/brian/.local/share/Trash: Permission denied
I have tried to create the directory several times through root. I also tried to find a solution to this on my own through the web but I am surprised I never came across a website with an answer.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
I have noticed a lot more thing happening on my desktop that are caused by permission problems. I can not create accounts on empathy, for example. It fails to access an ini file. Can somebody help me fix my home directory permissions?

Last edited by brianji03 (2011-01-21 02:48:40)

#2 2011-01-21 01:43:04

neuront

Re: [SOLVED] Fusion Icon Problems & Trash Won't Work

I think you need to check the owner of the folders in ~/.config.
If that's root, try

# chown -R brian ~/.config

#3 2011-01-21 02:48:26

brianji03

Re: [SOLVED] Fusion Icon Problems & Trash Won't Work

I figured out that was root and also figured out I would probably have to use chmod. However, I could not find that command.
Anyway, thanks for this. I actually gave up and just recreated my user which fixed things. I will take this down though just in case I have this problem in the future.

Board footer