You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 09:36:07

amrhassan
Website

GDM crashes when I enter the password of any user and try to log in

It crashes and starts over again with no error message whatsoever. It won't let me log in as me or as the root user. I had to boot the kernel into single user mode to remove gdm from the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf.
This is a fresh install of arch, I just installed it last night from the netinstall image and I haven't touched gdm or any of its configurations. Can anyone help me find out what to do now?
Booting gnome after I login from the shell works fine.

#2 2011-01-20 09:40:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: GDM crashes when I enter the password of any user and try to log in

Tell us how you are logging in [commands and configs] ? is system up to date after install ?

Last edited by Mr Green (2011-01-20 09:40:22)

Mr Green

#3 2011-01-20 09:49:21

amrhassan
Website

Now I log in from the regular login shell after I had removed gdm from the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf. The system is currently up to date.

After poking in /var/log/gdm, I got this ":0-greeter.log" http://paste.pocoo.org/show/323740/
I think at the end that's what causes it to crash:

gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

I think it might have something to do with me installing gnome-settings-daemon-pulse replacing gnome-settings-daemon last night. Was I suppose to configure it further?

#4 2011-01-21 11:53:08

amrhassan
Website

I had several corrupted packages in pacman. It was probably because of it. The problem didnt' happen again after another fresh install. Marking this as an invalid issue.

Board footer