You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-20 23:40:27

Butcher

Hard disk read problem at boot time

I had a problem booting Arch. When I tried to boot, I couldn't because when it tried to mount my root device (this is, before the startup scripts get executed), the hard disk seemed to be spitting lots of read errors, so it couldn't mount it. I thought: oh, the hard disk is broken.

But it wasn't. I deleted the partition and created a new one, and it was perfect. I did a surface scan with fsck and there were no bad blocks. So I installed Arch again.

And I'm opening this thread because that happened to me again. Can I fix it without deleting the partition? tongue

#2 2011-01-21 10:34:55

alennon

Re: Hard disk read problem at boot time

This seems to be due to a bug in the kernel that was recently triggered by udev. Check this thread out:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111197&p=1

Some workarounds have been proposed including a patch to udev or downgrading udev and the kernel but there won't be a proper solution until the kernel is fixed.

I use my desktop as a web and subversion server so I don't need to reboot very often but I encountered the problem last week. Unfortunately I did have a partial disk failure (fsck couldn't fix the filesystem due to read errors etc.)  so it took some time to track down that there was another problem.

Hope this saves you some time.

#3 2011-01-21 11:52:15

Butcher

alennon wrote:

Some workarounds have been proposed including a patch to udev or downgrading udev and the kernel but there won't be a proper solution until the kernel is fixed.

I'll try to downgrade udev and kernel...

Last edited by Butcher (2011-01-21 11:53:00)

#4 2011-01-21 12:08:43

Butcher

Still nothing, I can't even mount the partition using a live CD. Time to format? big_smile

Board footer