You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-22 18:09:14

xtony

[SOLVED] Compiz performance & Gnome stability problem

Hello,

I just purchased a new computer, core i5 2400 with integrated graphic. After reinstall arch & stuffs as usual, I found out that Compiz is very slow (I think it's slower than my atom netbook) and Gnome randomly crash to GDM. I did google & search the forum, tried every solutions I found with no luck. Here is my situation.

1. Gnome is fast with metacity. It will crash to GDM if I try to change the screen solution with System->Preferences->Monitors.
2. Compiz is slow. I can't play 1080p video from youtube smoothly. I also experience random crash & return to GDM.
3. With compiz, moving the windows of System->Preferences->Monitors always crash Gnome to GDM instantly.
4. The current config is from arch's wiki.
5. I also tried many solutions from google, none of them work.
6. I now fallback to metacity and looking for a solution.

any idea?? please advise.

Tony

Last edited by xtony (2011-01-22 20:54:10)

#2 2011-01-22 20:53:26

xtony

Re: [SOLVED] Compiz performance & Gnome stability problem

Hello,

This is the driver issue. Sandy bridge requires xf86-video-intel 2.14 which is being in testing repos. All other related software such as Mesa, libdrm that supports this CPU is still in testing too. We will also get better support for this new platform in kernel 2.6.37 (yes, in testing too). For one who don't want to wait. Add testing repos to your pacman & update your system.

I'll close this thread and Have a good day.

Tony

Board footer