You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-22 07:20:31

GRem

[SOLVED] Xfce and bus issues

Long story short, I updated Xfce to 4.8 few days ago, and everything went well. I was running my basic programs and VM during these days.

But today, all of a sudden, some programs didn't launch anymore. xfce4-mixer quit with a "Bus Error" message, and many other things started failing. After a reboot, it just got weirder: NMApplet appeared in the tray and displayed my network (wireless), but clicking it just "freezes" the icon. Aside from that, xfce wouldn't load my keymap (es), instead it defaults to a "us" keymap.
The only packages I updated today were a few python and power management packages. Downgrading these (and dbus) didn't help.

Also, X terminals (xfce's terminal, tilda, etc) behave strangely when scrolling back: A few lines are displayed, but scrolling up further just displays empty space.

No major configs were edited during this time. Googling a bit gave me results about dbus being twice on rc.conf, but that's not the issue. My current rc.conf has dbus and hal after it (Method 1 in archwiki). Excluding dbus (Method 2) doesn't change things. I also tried excluding hal (Xfce 4.8 doesn't require it anymore, correct?), but it's the same thing.

Xfce itself seems to run sorta fine though: The shutdown command inside the DE works, and some apps do run (power management, xfce notes, notifications). Others give out several errors: Chromium for example says it "can't create a directory socket" or something (using another system right now, so I can't check), while avant-window-navigator gives out dbus and gconf errors.

dmesg doesn't display anything out of the ordinary at the end (the blank space in terminals issue doesn't let me read too far back.)

EDIT: A dbus-daemon process is constantly using 50% of the CPU. And the kernel is 2.6.36 (upgraded it quite some time ago, had no issues)

Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by GRem (2011-01-23 01:00:54)

#2 2011-01-23 01:00:31

GRem

Re: [SOLVED] Xfce and bus issues

...and I solved it.

Since nothing would work, I decided to back up my system files and pacman cache, among other things. When checking my pkgcache folder size, I noticed that the / partition was at 100%...
So running ncdu I find out slim had a 9.9 GB log for some reason. Deleted that, rebooted, and everything is back to normal.

So now I mark this as solved, thankfully. Now the slim logs are not growing like crazy.

Board footer