You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 11:55:24

xamaco

A WM without hal and without dbus

I choosed to build a custom openbox environment to get a light GUI. To get the new thunar running, I ended up enabling too many gnome dependencies. My environment got almost as heavy as using Gnome as a DM.

I'm testing a new environment without hal, and without dbus. So far, I'm using autofs for automounting my removable medias and rox as a file manager. I'm far of being fully satisfied with these new settings, but I got back to a really light WM.

Goal : Having a really light and user friendly WM

So far, my tracks are:
- having a user friendly environment
- using autofs for automounting removable devices (maybe I'm wrong here)
- Finding a good and friendly file manager independent from heavy dependencies  (so far, it is roc)
- Trash ?

I'm far of being a linux expert, that's the reason why I badly need your help...

I'll give more details on the settings I'm currently using later... So far I just want to find if anyone is interested in this...

#2 2011-01-23 12:01:30

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: A WM without hal and without dbus

Why are you posting this in Community Contributions? Moving to Applications & Desktop Environments.

And what are you actually asking? "User friendly" is subjective, using autofs is a personal choice (and not a question), file managers are also a personal decision, and some of them feature trash functionality.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-01-23 12:01:50

Army

Do you need applications with graphical interfaces? Because usually console based applications are much more lightweight and if you are ok to use those, I'd prefer e.g. ranger as filemanager. I have an almost completely console based environment, the only graphical application I use every day is the web browser luakit.

#4 2011-01-23 12:54:45

_abraxas

what about udev rules? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev
or maybe try udiskie: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udiskie

there's also a nice (un)mount-script for udiskie&openbox. that's what i recommend, because i also tried autofs which doesn't do what i want it to do.

#5 2011-01-23 18:41:52

xamaco

litemotiv wrote:

Why are you posting this in Community Contributions?

Because I had no clue where to put it, sorry. User friendly meant, in my mind, that casual users could access removable devices easily and have a familiar file manager in front of them (kind of MS file manager, 'cause that's what 99% of users only know).

udiskie and udev rules are interesting tracks. Right now I'm exploring autofs because additionally to automatically mount usb keys, usb disks and cds, it can also mount seamlessly sshfs and smb volumes.

I have a very good PC, but I also manage a few very low powered and old machines where resources are scarce, all under Arch (it might not be a good idea smile ). For these machines, and eventually on my PC, I would like to get rid of hal and dbus...

#6 2011-01-23 18:49:22

anonymous_user

You could try qtfm however it has no Trash feature (though you could create a custom action).

#7 2011-01-23 20:49:31

thayer
Fellow
Website

Worker is a pretty awesome GUI file manager with minimal deps (libx11 only).

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer