You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-24 22:15:23

heptapod

How can I speed up hibernation

I have been using Arch for a couple of months and most things work great, but I have never been able to make hibernate work properly. The problem is that it takes a long time to resume, about 90 seconds. When I hibernate from cli, hibernation and resume takes a couple of seconds as it should. But when I hibernate from X I get the problem with long resume time. I tested different window managers, including twm, with the same result so I dont think that the problem has to do with any particular wm.

My question is if it is possible to get fast resume time when hibernating from X at all? Have anyone succeded with this? If so how did you tweak it?

I use tuxonice with kernel version 2.6.36, and the hibernate script, all configured according to the info in the Arch wiki.

#2 2011-01-24 23:02:27

lucke

Re: How can I speed up hibernation

I've never had that problem on any of my systems. How does it show? What takes so long? tuxonice itself or something after (you can see when the tuxonice finishes if you use the text ui with it)? How much RAM do you have?

#3 2011-01-24 23:46:50

heptapod

It boots up normally, then shows the percentage when uncompressing the saved image. Then the screen goes black with a blinking dash for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes totally black for a couple of seconds, and then resumes. With text ui do you mean this package from aur: tuxonice-userui?

I have 3gb ram and 3gb swap.

So you use tuxonice and hibernate script without any special tweaks?

#4 2011-01-25 00:06:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I use tuxonice and hibernate script from Gnome without problems. Well, not really, when I do resume from hibernate more often than not my wine apps refuse to work with the nvidia driver, and sometimes garbage metamodes turn up. If I'm just using the computer for other things that's not a problem though, and restarting X isn't too difficult.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-01-25 00:13:11

heptapod

Ok at least I know it possible then.

Installed the text ui now. After the boot up I get 30 seconds with a blinking dash, 30 seconds of blackness, and then the tuxonice text ui shows up and quickly resumes. I cant really figure whats going on between the boot and tuxonice.

#6 2011-01-25 09:33:01

lucke

You can try using the in-kernel/uswsusp hibernation. Or updating to the newer kernel (there's a  repo with a kernel26-pf, which has tuxonice; in-kernel hibernation in 2.6.37 uses compression, so it got a bit closer to tuxonice's functionality). See if those changes take the darkness out of your resuming.

-edit-

I myself use pm-utils, but I doubt it makes any difference.

Last edited by lucke (2011-01-25 09:47:08)

#7 2011-01-25 11:38:21

heptapod

I actually did try uswsusp both with 2.6.36 and 2.6.37 kernel, but that was also slow.

I have my swap on lvm. According to the Arch wiki no resume parameter should be necessary on the kernel line for the version of tuxonice Im using (3.2 rc2). But I found that if I dont add the kernel line my system does not resume at all. Could it be that it takes a long time to find the lvm volume?

The kernel line that works looks like this:

kernel /vmlinuz26-ice root=/dev/mapper/vg-archroot resume=swap:/dev/mapper/vg-archswap ro

Heres the relevant line from /etc/hibernate/tuxonice.conf

SuspendDevice swap:/dev/mapper/vg-archswap 

Anyone using tuxonice with swap on lvm without problems?

Board footer