#176 2011-01-24 17:41:05

Varg

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

Works like a charm, thanks smile

#177 2011-01-25 09:34:09

mhertz

Hi portix!

Firstly, thanks alot for your great browser, it really is an amazing contribution!

Latelly, i find myself switching between jumanji and dwb and to be ohnest, then i'm really having a hard time deciding between the two of them...

I would really appreciate if you could kindly tell me what your thoughts are about dwb Vs. jumanji and how you yourself thinks they difer in design/implementation/vision?

Also, since you are using dwm, then what made you think about implementing tiling in a browser also, and why do you think it's beneficial to add it to the browser instead of using the VM?(ohnest question, I really don't know?)

Thanks in advance!

CU, Martin.

#178 2011-01-25 12:39:00

portix

Hi,
I cannot say that much about jumanji vs. dwb, since i rarely use jumanji, i only
use it (and surf) to see if some things are webkit related.
Of course i cannot say anything about jumanji's vision.
The implementation is similar at some points because webkit doesn't give many
choices at some points, it heavily differs in the implementation of the gui, the
tabcompletion and the settings.  I think dwb also uses more parts of the
glib-library, but doesn't need libunique.
One big difference is, that dwb has no commandline with tabcompletion for all
commands, and probably never will, because i prefer doing most things via
shortcuts.
One thing that is missing in jumanji, that is essential for me are quickmarks.
They have a feature request on their bugtracker, i think.
Also one big difference is that jumanji is mostly configured through config.h
and recompiling the source and editing the configuration-file, while (nearly) all
configurations in dwb can be done from within dwb.

When i started with the first version of dwb, which differed much from the
current version, i was more inspired by vimprobable which is inspired by the
vimperator-plugin for firefox. I think jumanji didn't even exist.
I think vimprobable is really a great browser but i was missing tabbed browsing,
so i had a lot of open instances of vimprobable in dwm. The problem was that
having too many instances open, in dwm one could only see a really small part of
the webpage, since vimprobable didn't automatically zoom the pages.
I first thought about forking vimprobable but then decided to write a new
browser from scratch.
Today i only use the tiled mode to get an overview over all open tabs, this
could not easily be done using a tabbing browser and a tiling window manager, of
course it could be done using a window manager that supports tabbing, but i don't
want to use another WM than dwm.

To say something about my visions: I will not implement any new fancy features in
the near future. My plans for the next weeks/months (depending on my free time)
besides bugfixing are:

• better userscript support, also keybindings to userscripts should be configured in dwb

• i will start a new branch that uses the current development version of
    webkit so i can (hopefully) get rid of the javascript stuff, but, of course,
    this will only get into the main branch, if the development release gets
    stable.

• implement a new pluginblocker, the current plugin blocker does not work
    very well, since it causes to crash dwb on some sites.

• there is also a content blocker that should block content by mimetype, but it
    just blocks scripts, that are defined in the webpages head, dwb should block
    all content, otherwise if this is not possible i maybe drop the content blocker.

• make defining of multiple shortcuts for one command possible

Regards, Stefan.

#179 2011-01-25 15:47:56

firecat53
Website

Thanks for the roadmap! And just to take up more of your free time....couple more minor issues I found tongue

1. If two instances of dwb are open:  Set a bookmark in #1, close #2, close #1....bookmark is not there when a new instance is opened. Same for any history, settings, quickmarks, etc.

2. If I right click on a link and select 'Copy Link Location', nothing seems to be in the clipboard(s). I thought this used to work, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Highlighting text with the mouse does actually select text to the clipboard. Perhaps also a shortcut could be added to 'copy link' sort of like the ';f' for downloading a link (perhaps 'cf' ?).

3. I can't figure out which color setting controls the search highlighting color? Love to change it to yellow or something more visible.

Thanks again for a great browser!!

Scott

#180 2011-01-25 19:39:57

portix

1. Thanks for reporting, i will think about a solution for this and try to fix this soon.
2. Copying links from the context menu works fine here, the copy link via hints is a good idea, i think i will add a shortcut for that.
3. The properties for the hint colors are "hint-fg-color" and "hint-bg-color".

#181 2011-01-25 23:12:15

firecat53
Website

@portix -- hint-fg-color and hint-bg-color control the hints and the instant highlighting that happens when you hit '/' to start searching on a page, but as soon as I hit enter when doing a search, the highlight color goes back to the dark color....and that's the one I can't figure out the setting for.

Thanks!
Scott

Edit: Sorry -- another issue I just found: the CUPS add printer page (localhost:631/admin) doesn't finish loading, even if 'ts' is used to allow content for the page. It also has this: '--CUPS-MULTIPART Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8' printed in plain text at the top of the page, which doesn't appear in other browsers.

Last edited by firecat53 (2011-01-26 00:41:44)

#182 2011-01-26 08:47:32

mhertz

@Stefan

Thanks alot for sharing that, mate; I really appreciate it!

CU, Martin.

#183 2011-01-26 09:08:47

portix

@firecat: ok, i missunderstood. The search highlight is a builtin webkit feature, the color can not be changed. I fixed some issues with the search command 2 days ago, the matching words now keep marked yellow after pressing enter. Also pressing n/N marks all words of the last search.

It is really strange, that you have some issues, i cannot reproduce. I really should do some tests with tsocks. Btw, it would be better, if you could  report bugs on the bugtracker,  because when posted on the forum, it could happen that i forget about the bug.

Edit: You can of course change the color of the actually marked word when searching on a webpage using a custom  stylesheet, but this would affect all selections.

Last edited by portix (2011-01-26 11:28:31)

#184 2011-01-26 16:22:31

firecat53
Website

Ok smile I'll re-report the bugs on the bugtracker that I've mentioned here...I think you even told me that once before hmm  <smack>

Thanks!
Scott

#185 2011-01-26 17:52:30

cbrunos

This browser really is awesome. There a just some minor things that keep me from completely switching to dwb; for example, middle-click opens a tab, but not in the background. I like to open a lot of tabs in the background and then read them one by one. Also, but that's me and I haven't had the time to look into it, I don't really know how the adblocker works. adblocks + filters don't work and I think the man page doesn't really help on this one.

But apart from that, dwb is really fantastic, keep up the good work!

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#186 2011-01-26 18:00:07

firecat53
Website

@portix -- I just realized that I've been using libwebkit-nightly for quite awhile now...I'm hoping that hasn't affected too many of the bugs that I'm seeing!! I'll test each one with regular libwebkit before I report it. I've got to use the nightly/git version because there are sites like netflix that I use frequently that are completely unusable with the current libwebkit version because they are tooooo slooooowww. The issue with the 'Copy Link Location' not working was a libwebkit-nightly issue...not your problem! Also, the checkbox issue was a libwebkit problem...they're visible just fine with the current libwebkit.

Sorry about that! I'll keep reporting bugs....but I'll make sure and check it with the current libwebkit version first!!

Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2011-01-26 18:07:44)

#187 2011-01-26 23:41:44

portix

cbrunos wrote:

for example, middle-click opens a tab, but not in the background. I like to open a lot of tabs in the background and then read them one by one. Also, but that's me and I haven't had the time to look into it, I don't really know how the adblocker works. adblocks + filters don't work and I think the man page doesn't really help on this one.

I already started implementing opening tabs in background but there are some bugs i have to fix. The adblocker works really simple, just create a file named adblock in your config directory. Now each line in this file defines a filter. A filter is just a part of a url or a regular expression where a regular expression starts with @. A simple filter could be

doubleclick.net

This blocks all requests containing doubleclick.net.
and a regular expression could be

@[\-\/\._\(&=]ad_?(man|mentor|module|mosaic|pops?|parse|revolver|s(dk|end|erv(er)|ize|tome|onar|cripts?)|s?remote|type|-?f(low|rame|etch))[\-\/\._\)&=]

The regular expression-syntax is described here. It is not wise to always use regular expressions unless you use regular expressions that match at least 10 urls, since regular-expression matching is much slower than matching a simple url.
This is of course not as powerful as firefox's addon adblock plus for example, but most ads can be blocked with such filters. The disadvantage of course is, that you have to write your own filterlist, but you can take any filterlist and convert it to a filterlist, that works with dwb.

@firecat53
Fixed the issue with the checkmark boxes.

#188 2011-01-27 10:19:33

cbrunos

portix wrote:
cbrunos wrote:

for example, middle-click opens a tab, but not in the background. I like to open a lot of tabs in the background and then read them one by one. Also, but that's me and I haven't had the time to look into it, I don't really know how the adblocker works. adblocks + filters don't work and I think the man page doesn't really help on this one.

I already started implementing opening tabs in background but there are some bugs i have to fix. The adblocker works really simple, just create a file named adblock in your config directory. Now each line in this file defines a filter. A filter is just a part of a url or a regular expression where a regular expression starts with @. A simple filter could be

doubleclick.net

This blocks all requests containing doubleclick.net.
and a regular expression could be

@[\-\/\._\(&=]ad_?(man|mentor|module|mosaic|pops?|parse|revolver|s(dk|end|erv(er)|ize|tome|onar|cripts?)|s?remote|type|-?f(low|rame|etch))[\-\/\._\)&=]

The regular expression-syntax is described here. It is not wise to always use regular expressions unless you use regular expressions that match at least 10 urls, since regular-expression matching is much slower than matching a simple url.
This is of course not as powerful as firefox's addon adblock plus for example, but most ads can be blocked with such filters. The disadvantage of course is, that you have to write your own filterlist, but you can take any filterlist and convert it to a filterlist, that works with dwb.

Oh that's great news about the tabs in the background. Concerning the adblock, I downloaded privoxy-adblocker from the AUR which converts adblock+ easylist into a privoxy compatible adblock list which works fine with dwb ^^ most of the ads I had previously are now gone.

I'm really looking forward to background tabs now ^^

#189 2011-01-27 14:56:00

PGMario

portix wrote:

@PGMario:
I fixed this and changed the form, the status  is displayed. The status is now indicated through a progressbar in the statusbar, the percentage is only shown in the window title.

Fixed less than 3 hours after I posted the request! You are FAST! Thanks a lot, works like a charm.

#190 2011-02-03 23:47:28

empthollow

I found a problem with the ctrl+x feature when downloading and opening files.  Download is fine, but whenever the file name contains spaces, each word is treated as a file name causing the correct file to never be found by the program trying to open it.

On a side note, I was wondering if there is still a form saving feature that would allow passwords to be saved.

Thanks.  Oh, by the way, great job with the content blocker.  Works awsome.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#191 2011-02-04 00:42:11

portix

empthollow wrote:

On a side note, I was wondering if there is still a form saving feature that would allow passwords to be saved.

There is no builtin formfiller and i will not implement a formfiller in
forseeable time (as long as it has to be done in javascript).
You can use a userscript to fill out forms, an example can be found in
"examples/formfiller.sh". The description on how it works is at the beginning of
the script. This is not so comfortable as the formerly builtin formfiller
because one has to manually save the information for the input-fields. The
easiest way to get the name of an input maybe is to enable developer extras,
right-click on the element and then choose "Inspect Element".

Thanks for reporting the path issue (but maybe use the bug tracker next time wink).

#192 2011-02-04 01:30:21

empthollow

Cool, thanks for the tip.  I found the bug tracker so I'll post there next time.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#193 2011-02-10 13:59:23

Falstaff

Hi. The app crash at gmail.com when I try to enter letters in my username.

#194 2011-02-10 19:57:59

firecat53
Website

@Falstaff - make sure you allow blocked content (ts) and make sure you're in insert mode before you start typing...especially if there's a d in your name! Gmail works fine with dwb. You can use all the gmail shortcuts too if you are in insert mode.

Scott

#195 2011-02-19 11:28:42

cbrunos

The more I use this browser the more I'm addicted to it. I would like to help, but can't program for sh*t. portix, do you accept donations?

#196 2011-02-19 14:47:22

Falstaff

firecat53 wrote:

@Falstaff - make sure you allow blocked content (ts) and make sure you're in insert mode before you start typing...especially if there's a d in your name! Gmail works fine with dwb. You can use all the gmail shortcuts too if you are in insert mode.

Scott

That worked. Thanks.

#197 2011-02-19 17:33:11

portix

@cbrunos: I have no costs for this project at the moment, so no. Btw. i don't know if you have noticed it, but i added an option background-tabs.

@falstaff: if you prefer to get in insertmode if a textentry has focus, there is a script in $srcdir/examples called auto_insert_mode.js that will exactly do this. If you want to use it, just put it in ~/.config/dwb/scripts.
I also changed the behaviour when closing a tab, trying to close the last tab will not close dwb.

#198 2011-02-20 01:14:26

Cloudef

Liking this browser so far, couple of questions tho. Is there key or anything to copy the address of current page you are viewing?
Also 'save as' does not seem to do anything for me.

#199 2011-02-20 08:25:52

broken pipe

thanks a lot for this tiny and awesome browser!!!

i have a few questions:
1. what is the right syntax for the adblock file? is it possible to copy and paste the blocklist from adblock or opera's urlfilter.ini?
2. is there any way to import the bookmarks from firefox into the bookmarks file?

#200 2011-02-20 11:36:48

portix

@Cloudef: do you mean copy the current url to clipboard to the navigation bar? The shortcut "yy" will copy the current url to clipboard and yY will copy it to primary selection.
The save as dialog is broken. There was someone who reported it earlier but i just forgot about it. I put it on top of my todo list. You can start a download using the hint feature, the default binding is "gd".

@broken_pipe: see post #187 for a description of the url-filter. The filter is not in .ini-format, so urlfilter.ini will not work. There is currently no way to import firefox bookmarks, either. Maybe i will write a tool to convert some files from majorbrowsers to dwb-compatible config files.

I wrote a script that implements some mouse-gestures and an autoscroll-function. I haven't decided if this will get into dwb or if i provide it as a userscript. Thoughts about it would be really appreciated.

Board footer