You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-12 19:09:31

trancos83

Problem logout/shutdown/reboot KDE4 [SOLVED]

Hello, I have a little problem, recently I reinstalled Arch on my laptop and logout/shutdown/reboot buttons do not respond, that is, that as much as I do not think of any action here. However, the automatic sleep mode when closing the lid of the notebook is working correctly, so pass me wonder :S

It is possibly a problem in the groups, but I have required groups for my user to run properly on Arch (as usual) and everything seems to be correct.

[toni@amilo ~]$ id
    uid=1000(toni) gid=1000(toni) groups=1000(toni),7(lp),10(wheel),50(games),81(dbus),82(hal),90(network),91(video),92(audio),93(optical),95(storage),96(scanner),97(camera),98(power),100(users),135(kdm)

I tried that, but unsuccessfully

$ sudo /usr/bin/qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 2 0
    Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No protocol specified
    Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

Last edited by trancos83 (2011-01-13 14:18:18)

#2 2011-01-12 19:18:14

skunktrader

Re: Problem logout/shutdown/reboot KDE4 [SOLVED]

Does kdesu work better than sudo?

#3 2011-01-12 19:38:09

kikinovak
Website

As incredible as it sounds:

# pacman -S speex

Should solve your problem.

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#4 2011-01-12 20:18:56

trancos83

kikinovak wrote:

# pacman -S speex

That works! I don't know why a free codec for free speech can solve a problem with logout and shutdown kde, but that package solved my problem big_smile

#5 2011-01-13 03:05:42

Tsynique

trancos83 wrote:
kikinovak wrote:

# pacman -S speex

That works! I don't know why a free codec for free speech can solve a problem with logout and shutdown kde, but that package solved my problem big_smile

+1 big_smile

#6 2011-01-13 13:36:02

msx
Website

That's weird :P may be the package changes some permissions or install additional packages -useful for KDE4- I don't know.
Anyways, be sure to have "dbus hal" (without quotes and in that order) in your /etc/rc.conf because hal is still needed by KDE4 until upcoming KDE SC 4.6 when they will switch to udev.
Also please note login managers as KDM and GDM also manage shutdown/reboot actions by staying resident (aka daemons) once you login to your system. That said if you login via startx, xinit, slim, or by any other way shutdown/reboot capabilities will be disabled.

BTW: everytime you solve your problems please add [SOLVED] tag to the post title to help keep forum in a good shape ;)

Greetings!

Last edited by msx (2011-01-13 13:37:43)

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

#7 2011-01-13 14:30:05

trancos83

msx wrote:

That's weird tongue may be the package changes some permissions or install additional packages -useful for KDE4- I don't know.
Anyways, be sure to have "dbus hal" (without quotes and in that order) in your /etc/rc.conf because hal is still needed by KDE4 until upcoming KDE SC 4.6 when they will switch to udev.
Also please note login managers as KDM and GDM also manage shutdown/reboot actions by staying resident (aka daemons) once you login to your system. That said if you login via startx, xinit, slim, or by any other way shutdown/reboot capabilities will be disabled.

BTW: everytime you solve your problems please add [SOLVED] tag to the post title to help keep forum in a good shape wink

Greetings!

Sorry, i forgot write solved, thanks by the way.

I have hal as daemon (not dbus) in the daemons list (rc.conf), but hal autostart dbus daemon, so it is the same. Otherwise, when I have both daemons in the daemon list, I had the same problem with the logout/shutdown. I start a session with kdm and the installation is clean with only kdm (no previous gdm installed), because I reinstalled archlinux few weeks ago.

Before, in kdm panel (without log in) I could shutdown/reboot, but when I logged in I couldn't come back to kdm panel to shutdown, for example, because I couldn't log out from my session xD

#8 2011-01-27 15:11:20

Butcher

Try to install (and choose) the phonon-vlc backend. It solved my problem.

Board footer