You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-17 00:32:44

Thinkpol
Website

OfflineIMAP issues and fixed PKGBUILD

I wanted to post a summary of recent OfflineIMAP issues and my current solution for others facing the same problems. If this post should be in another forum category, please let me know.

OfflineIMAP project current status

OfflineIMAP was developed and previously maintained by John Goerzen. John has apparently handed the reigns over to Nicolas Sebrecht. I've added this information to the wiki along with links to the correct github page for Nicolas.

Community/AUR package status

As of this post, the Community and AUR packages are both 'out of date'. I'm not entirely sure that the Community package *should* be updated... I suppose it depends on how stable the new fork is. I've dropped the maintainer a note on this and they can make a decision. The AUR git package should definitely be updated since it is now pointing to an old git project. It's been flagged out of date.

Issues

The 6.2.x version on Community has a major issue for me that makes it almost unusable without some undesirable work arounds. Specifically it hangs after completing a sync and eats up CPU till killed if I change network config while it's running (i.e. if I happen to switch access points or suspend/resume mid sync, which happens pretty regularly). There are other reports of the same behavior from others and it's reproducible. I could kill it off with a network pre/post hook but I really would rather not do that if the 6.3 fork is working (which it seems to be).

The offlineimap-git package on AUR is currently (as of this post date) flagged out date as it both points to the old repository fails to install due to python2/3 changeover in Arch.

Fixed PKGBUILD

I've drafted a new PKGBUILD that:

• 1) sources from the current (6.3) official fork of OfflineIMAP and

• 2) swaps out python references for python2

It works for me and I figured others might be in the same boat, so here you go. It's on bitbucket as well but since it's brief and the official and AUR packages will probably be updated soon this should be sufficient.

pkgname=offlineimap-git-new
pkgver=20101216
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A powerful IMAP/Maildir synchronization tool"
url="http://wiki.github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap/"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL')
depends=('python2')
makedepends=('git')
conflicts=('offlineimap')
provides=('offlineimap')
source=()
md5sums=()

_gitroot="git://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap.git"
_gitname="offlineimap"

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}
  msg "Connecting to GIT server...."

if [ -d ${srcdir}/$_gitname ] ; then
  cd $_gitname && git pull origin
  msg "The local files are updated."
  else
  git clone $_gitroot
  fi

msg "GIT checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

git clone $_gitname $_gitname-build
  cd ${srcdir}/$_gitname-build

sed -i -e "s|#![ ]*/usr/bin/python$|#!/usr/bin/python2|" \
             -e "s|#![ ]*/usr/bin/env python$|#!/usr/bin/env python2|" \
             $(find ./ -name '*.py')

python2 setup.py install --prefix=${pkgdir}/usr

}

new arch*.org acct: altercation

#2 2010-12-18 08:24:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: OfflineIMAP issues and fixed PKGBUILD

I recommend you contact the maintainer of offlineimap-git, if he doesn't reply in 2 weeks, request to take over that package.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-12-21 06:42:47

Thinkpol
Website

Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

new arch*.org acct: altercation

#4 2011-01-28 09:02:27

unhammer
Website

There's a bug in the current release. Line 187 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py says

imapobj.login(self.username, self.repos.getpassword())

but this should be

imapobj.login(self.username, self.getpassword())

Without this change, plain authentication does not work (self.getpassword will ask if password is not set; self.repos.getpassword will return None if password is not set).

#5 2011-01-28 09:42:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I saw your mail to the list. This isn't the right thread for it though, nothing to do with the OP. And for this sort of problems, they're generally fixed by sending upstream, not by asking the maintainer to apply patches.

I'm sure the fix will be committed shortly and be available here soonish (when the next release comes).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer