You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-21 00:29:01

CPUnltd
Website

[Request] Canon Pixma 5200 series (added!)

Hopefully, it's as simple as the current PKGBUILDs for the Canon printers, but just in case, I'm adding a link to the austrailian canon site where I found the Linux driver for the 5200 series (looking to buy a 5220 at a local store near me to replace the MP520 AIO that had the scanner die on me... which I need the scanner BADLY for business and personal reasons)... I see the MG6100 series drivers are in AUR already, hoping to get this added as well...

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search … g_os=Linux

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-02-26 21:22:39)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#2 2011-01-21 00:52:54

CPUnltd
Website

Re: [Request] Canon Pixma 5200 series (added!)

posted a modified version of the mg6100 PKGBUILD from AUR... builds fine on my machine, but I'd like someone to test... only change was switching 6100 for 5200 everywhere in the PKBUILD and it seemed to work just fine, but I don't have this printer yet... if ANYONE does, please test and post!

PKGBUILD: http://cpunltd.pastebin.com/5ch0XsTi

install: http://cpunltd.pastebin.com/C3AWrVTQ (submitted only for completeness, nothing is changed from the mg6100.install file)

if only RPMs were this easy to modify... tongue

#3 2011-01-29 04:48:12

CPUnltd
Website

if anyone out there is interested in helping me troubleshoot this printer with the PKGBUILD I provided in my pastebin link(s), once I modified the proper file via the link Mr. Green provieded (below is the relevant part for me in this scenario) I set up my printer in the CUPS web interface and attempted to print an item.  the printer did not do anything and I saw in the cups web interface that the job was paused due to an error with the library loading.

Listen: By default on Ubuntu, the CUPS server installation listens only on the loopback interface at IP address 127.0.0.1. In order to instruct the CUPS server to listen on an actual network adapter's IP address, you must specify either a hostname, the IP address, or optionally, an IP address/port pairing via the addition of a Listen directive. For example, if your CUPS server resides on a local network at the IP address 192.168.10.250 and you'd like to make it accessible to the other systems on this subnetwork, you would edit the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add a Listen directive, as such:

Listen 127.0.0.1:631           # existing loopback Listen
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock # existing socket Listen
Listen 192.168.10.250:631      # Listen on the LAN interface, Port 631 (IPP)

In the example above, you may comment out or remove the reference to the Loopback address (127.0.0.1) if you do not wish cupsd to listen on that interface, but would rather have it only listen on the Ethernet interfaces of the Local Area Network (LAN). To enable listening for all network interfaces for which a certain hostname is bound, including the Loopback, you could create a Listen entry for the hostname socrates as such:

Listen socrates:631  # Listen on all interfaces for the hostname 'socrates'

or by omitting the Listen directive and using Port instead, as in:

Port 631  # Listen on port 631 on all interfaces

For more examples of configuration directives in the CUPS server configuration file, view the associated system manual page by entering the following command at a terminal prompt:

man cupsd.conf

Whenever you make changes to the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf configuration file, you'll need to restart the CUPS server by typing the following command at a terminal prompt:

sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

my error is as such:

pending since
Fri 28 Jan 2011 10:29:25 PM CST 
"cannot load library"

will be looking around to see what can be done, but wanted to note progress and request help with my situation.  Plan to continue with this as it feels 99% done.  Once I figure out what library is missing or not working this should be added to the AUR as a functional package (of course, giving homage to the original author of the MG6100 series PKGBUILD [voRia], since it's just a mod of that.

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-01-29 04:51:04)

#4 2011-01-29 10:00:33

voRia
Website

Hi, you also have to install the correct libraries for mg5200 series.
According to the README file included in the sources tarball, the printer model ID for mg5200 is 374 (while for mg6100 is 376).

So, in the PKGBUILD change the following lines:

install -m 755 ${srcdir}/cnijfilter-source-${_pkgver}/376/${libdir}/*so.* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/
install -m 644 ${srcdir}/cnijfilter-source-${_pkgver}/376/database/* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/bjlib/

in

install -m 755 ${srcdir}/cnijfilter-source-${_pkgver}/374/${libdir}/*so.* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/
install -m 644 ${srcdir}/cnijfilter-source-${_pkgver}/374/database/* ${pkgdir}/usr/lib/bjlib/

and adjust the symbolic links accordingly.

#5 2011-01-29 21:57:54

CPUnltd
Website

thanks friend... will edit accordingly for both the printer and scanner packages, reinstall and test... if all goes well, I'll post them in the AUR (with credit to you, of course big_smile).

now to get the scanner working on the network...

#6 2011-01-29 21:58:42

CPUnltd
Website

ok, printer pkg built, printer test passed, this will be in the AUR soon! big_smile

#7 2011-01-29 22:02:13

voRia
Website

Glad to be helpful smile

#8 2011-01-29 22:56:17

CPUnltd
Website

you are appreciated. When all said and done, these pkgs probably aren't the most necessary (since they are basically extracted from the full pkg of all the drivers) but it's good to have specific ones around to streamline and slim down installs where you can. smile

curious... have you set your 6100 up for network scanning?

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-01-29 22:56:47)

#9 2011-01-29 23:23:08

voRia
Website

CPUnltd wrote:

curious... have you set your 6100 up for network scanning?

Yes, but network scanning only works with scangearmp. The scanner is automatically detected by scangearmp.

#10 2011-01-29 23:31:52

CPUnltd
Website

not working for me at all... I installed the pkg I modified from your MG6100 PKGBUILD (which built fine, but the scanner is not being recognized by scangearmp... not sure what I'm missing... discussion has been started about it @ https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … action=new

#11 2011-01-31 04:49:44

CPUnltd
Website

running into a couple of issues with this setup... first and foremost, Gutenprint does not properly recognize this printer (so I can't print the business cards I make with GIMP at the moment), secondly, I don't get any paper size options when I use CUPS to print.  I can only use standard Letter size and the options are greyed out for Output Tray, Paper Size and Orientation.  I can change these on the CUPS web interface, but altering on the fly in the standard printer dialog for individual programs is not an option at the moment...

#12 2011-02-01 01:45:56

CPUnltd
Website

ok, set this up on my laptop too, and I'm still not able to change paper sizes or anything I listed in my last post.. Are you able to change these settings in the printer dialog, voRia?  Not sure what I'm doing wrong here...

EDIT: scangear DID detect the scanner on my laptop AND desktop, so that side of things is good for the moment... just gotta get this printer working right now... all I can do is print letter sized stuff from the bottom tray... DEFINITELY not good...

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-02-01 02:05:30)

#13 2011-02-01 04:35:46

CPUnltd
Website

maybe shedding a little light on this:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru … rint-devel

there is mention of autogen settings to enable gutenprint, but I'm not savvy enough in this particular area to know what to do with this information... at least, not yet... hoping voRia can be of some help here...

#14 2011-02-01 11:09:02

voRia
Website

Sorry, I don't have the printer here at home so I cannot do any test at the moment.
Anyway, I did not try to change settings in the printer dialog, I just did some print and scan tests and it apparently worked fine.
I'll do some more tests as soon as I can. smile

About gutenprint, according to the link you posted, support for Canon MG series has been added to CVS repository, so the next released version should have it.
I'm trying to checkout sources from CVS repository to try it, but it seems the server has some problems right now and it's unavailable. sad

#15 2011-02-01 17:08:35

CPUnltd
Website

thanks for getting back to me about this.  Please post when you get new info, as I'm somewhat in a rut about this because my primary reason for the new printer was for scanning purposes, but I've now lost my bread & butter function from the old printer which was for printing my business flyers (which are on smaller sized photo paper) and is killing me that I can't print to anything besides standard letter size...

Thanks again...

#16 2011-02-26 21:23:16

CPUnltd
Website

Finally got the nerve up to post my PKGBUILD edits for the printer and scangear drivers in AUR... let's see how it all works out... tongue

Board footer