You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-18 02:53:27

jery_wang2002

GnuCash??

Hi All,

I have been using:

Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu 5.04, Suse 9.3, FreeBSD (Gnome had problem with Gnome theme), Gentoo 2005.0 (never had success installing after spending 3 whole days of not be able to find svgalib solution on deep inside forum), I finally try Arch Linux.

So far I am quite happy with:
- the latest applications are available and it continuously updating, unlike Ubuntu where after a release it stops updating with the latest.
- it's fast unlike Suse 9.3 where the first click to Gnome menu takes 1 - 2 seconds, although Arch is much faster but it is still takes sometime. Subsequent click is very fast. FreeBSD does not show 'first click slow' syndrome and it is very fast/responsive.
- availability of latest binary packages. I am done with source compiling in Gentoo, I don't want to touch it anymore. The only GRP available are old in Gentoo. FreeBSD is not too bad since packages are quite latest although the latest (current) still needs to compile.

I find that Gnucash is not in the packages and there was some effort to build it (hxxx://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=5751). I am that clear with that thread.

Could someone help me gives some pointers/links. I want to build this Gnucash for Archlinux.

-------------------
Sidetrack:

I find that Archlinux is very promising distro. Why?

Fedora Core 3 and 4 is so pathetic with up2date. We need yum to do the update. In addition, we need dag rpm etc. to get other packages esp. mp3.

Suse 9.3 is not that fast.

Slackware, many are not latest.

Ubuntu, I think is among the best, hard to find weaknesses. The only perceived weakness is that no software upgrade after release (only security fixes). But I think this is necessary evil to keep the system stable. I have yet to see Archlinux in keeping stability with the latest/greatest updates.

FreeBSD is very fast and very responsive. In Suse, I ftp-ed (local LAN) Gigabytes zip file and the network bandwidth is erractic and never reach 60% continues/steady utilization on 100BaseT. FreeBSD uses about 90% 'STEADY' network utilization on this 100BaseT (~9-10Mbytes/s). Now that is really something.

Just sharing my experience and may not necessary applicable to other users.

Cheers,
Jerry Wang

#2 2005-05-18 08:19:06

pwe

Re: GnuCash??

heh its nice, but topic is in the bad place wink

this is AUR place

#3 2005-05-18 21:16:44

oscar

I've become very fond of binary distros, since I'm dead tired of compiling my days away...
I read you liked ubuntu - ever considered trying debian sarge? smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#4 2005-05-19 01:45:06

jery_wang2002

Hi, Thanks.

SOrry, but I am looking/requesting if someone more expert than me (newbie) could build Gnucash.

pwe wrote:

heh its nice, but topic is in the bad place wink

this is AUR place

#5 2005-05-19 02:45:02

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I wanted to build gnucash and was having trouble with it so I wrote to dp and he responded:

the problem with gnucash is, that it needs gnome1 and not gnome2 (in the
arch repositories, we have gnome=gnome2).
as gnome1 and gnome2 are totally different and incompatible you need the
whole gnome1 suite to build first. gnome1 is not available for arch and
will most probably never be.
however, i'm not sure (never tried) that gnome1 and gnome2 can be
installed both at the same time. if not, most people would run gnome2
because most software needs gnome2 to build nowadays.
in fact the easiest way would be that gnucash would be ported to
gnome2 ;-)

After reading that, I realized it wasn't worth the trouble. So I looked around for something similar and found kmymoney2 which I made a PKGBUILD for. Its not nearly as good but. it's was the best alternative I could find. If your interested in the PKGBUILD let me know...

#6 2005-05-19 04:27:08

jery_wang2002

Hi,

Yes I am interested. Is there link I can download it from?
I have read abs/pkgbuild for the first time, it will be good that I can have a ready made pkgbuild to start with. And maybe I can build one in the future for other package that I need and not in arch.

Thanks.
Jerry

Penguin wrote:

After reading that, I realized it wasn't worth the trouble. So I looked around for something similar and found kmymoney2 which I made a PKGBUILD for. Its not nearly as good but. it's was the best alternative I could find. If your interested in the PKGBUILD let me know...

#7 2005-05-19 05:44:02

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

pkgname=kmymoney2 
 pkgver=0.6.4 
 pkgrel=1 
 pkgdesc="Personal finance software for KDE" 
 url="http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/" 
 license="GPL" 
 groups=('kde>=3.0')
 depends=() 
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/$pkgname/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2) 
#source=(http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/$pkgname/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2) 
 md5sums=('01257a16ef26487f8891106b33ad2c64')

build() { 
   cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver 
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde
   make || return 1 
   make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install 
 }

feedback from other users is always good...you may want to wait for that before installing. For me it works fine.

#8 2005-05-19 11:37:51

jerem

oscar wrote:

I've become very fond of binary distros, since I'm dead tired of compiling my days away...
I read you liked ubuntu - ever considered trying debian sarge? smile

Hopefully they release on May 30th, otherwise they'll got killed by the community :-)

#9 2005-05-19 13:41:16

soloport

FWIW, here's a PKGBUILD for version 0.7.0:

pkgname=kmymoney2
pkgver=0.7.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Personal finance software for KDE"
url="http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/"
license="GPL"
groups=('kde>=3.0')
depends=()
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/$pkgname/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('3185ee9ad859c9e0dd7f4ef007f9c3b9')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

Board footer