You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-31 16:18:36

mxaxxx

dhcpcd timeout during Arch installation

Hi,
I had successfully installed Arch 2010.05 via the Netinstall image, using my wireless connection. Recently, though, I decided to wipe my drive and reinstall Arch. I attempted to follow the same process that I used successfully before (i.e. establishing a connection to my WPA-secured wireless network, using dhcpcd for dhcp, basically following the steps in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … %27_Guide); however, this time around I found that when I run dhcpcd, it times out. Its output reads "Waiting for carrier", then it times out.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Why did it used to work? Why doesn't it work anymore? I've seen several posts with similar problems, but none of them seem to provide any suitable solutions.

Thanks for the help.

PS I should mention that the same wireless connection is working fine for me in Ubuntu and Windows.

Last edited by mxaxxx (2011-01-31 16:21:00)

#2 2011-01-31 17:01:25

hokasch

Re: dhcpcd timeout during Arch installation

Are you authenticated successfully with wpa_supplicant? I think the command in the wiki includes a background switch, try without it to check.

#3 2011-01-31 17:20:49

mxaxxx

Re: dhcpcd timeout during Arch installation

Thanks, hokasch. I tried wpa_supplicant without the -B switch and, sure enough, found the problem. I'm almost too embarrassed to say what it was... I had been misspelling the name of my SSID in my wpa_supplicant configuration file!

So, yeah... I feel dumb. But thanks again, your response did the trick!

Board footer