You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-09 18:23:45

crabmarkjellozest

Debug symbols, anything recent?

Has there been any recent discussion of finding a way to provide debug symbols for the Arch-provided binaries?  I have read through this feature request but it looks like aside from one recent comment this idea has largely been forgotten.

I am not a good enough bash hacker to contribute to a patch but I highly encourage interested parties to discuss big_smile

#2 2010-07-10 19:29:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Debug symbols, anything recent?

crabmarkjellozest wrote:

Has there been any recent discussion of finding a way to provide debug symbols for the Arch-provided binaries?  I have read through this feature request but it looks like aside from one recent comment this idea has largely been forgotten.

I am not a good enough bash hacker to contribute to a patch but I highly encourage interested parties to discuss big_smile

Adding debugging symbols will increase package sizes significantly. For your personal use, ABS is the way to go.

#3 2010-07-10 22:32:06

crabmarkjellozest

Right, of course.  I should have been more clear.  My vote is actually for split packages such as *-dbg as seen elsewhere, but I realize this is unlikely for Arch.  As it is the traditional *-dev packages aren't even split out in the pursuit of simplicity.

#4 2010-07-10 23:03:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

crabmarkjellozest wrote:

Right, of course.  I should have been more clear.  My vote is actually for split packages such as *-dbg as seen elsewhere, but I realize this is unlikely for Arch.  As it is the traditional *-dev packages aren't even split out in the pursuit of simplicity.

Splitting packages into dev, debug, and user is far more complex than what the current model is.

#5 2011-01-27 16:46:40

vit.gorbunov

skottish wrote:

Splitting packages into dev, debug, and user is far more complex than what the current model is.

Installing debug packages is far more complex than recompiling entire package? I just don't get it.

I switched to archlinux from kubuntu a week ago, attracted by the rolling release cycle. I thought I found the ideal  distro for myself, but I was very surprised that there is no debug packages in arch repo.

Is any progress in this direction? Why this this feature request  was forgotten? Is there any chance that debug packages will appear in arch repo?

Last edited by vit.gorbunov (2011-01-27 16:47:05)

#6 2011-01-27 17:04:17

falconindy
Developer
Website

The latest patchwork in that bug report is over 6 months old. At a minimum, one would need to rebase it against pacman master, do some testing, and post the results to pacman-dev. As with anything in Arch, if you want it, go out and do it.

#7 2011-02-01 08:11:48

vit.gorbunov

Strange thing that the patch seems to work fine.  Maybe I missed something but I can't see any explanations why this is holding up. Seems like activity suddenly stopped without any reasons.

falconindy, what do you mean by "rebase it against pacman master". I just not very well in english and google-translate didn't help me..

#8 2011-02-01 08:19:42

sand_man

vit.gorbunov wrote:

Strange thing that the patch seems to work fine.  Maybe I missed something but I can't see any explanations why this is holding up. Seems like activity suddenly stopped without any reasons.

falconindy, what do you mean by "rebase it against pacman master". I just not very well in english and google-translate didn't help me..

He means that pacman has progressed while that patch remains valid for an older version. The patch may or may not work with the current pacman.

neutral

#9 2011-02-01 08:25:44

vit.gorbunov

But it works. And after reading all this long feature request I can't see any explanations why this patch wasn't applied half a year ago.

Last edited by vit.gorbunov (2011-02-01 08:32:39)

#10 2011-02-01 10:01:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

In the absence of an explicit reason, the general reason would be that the pacman devs do not consider it important, or at least important enough to supercede existing work. A working patch is not the only justification required for changing or amending the existing application.

More details may be available in the pacman-dev mailing list archives.

#11 2011-02-01 11:53:53

Allan
Pacman
Website

Firstly, if support was added to makepkg for splitting debug packages, there is no guarantee that Arch would provide such packages.   Support for binary delta updates was added to pacman years ago and it is still not used...

I was going to finally get to finishing this patch (it is not in a finished state...) for pacman-3.5, but instead I:
* Implemented a tar based backend for sync databases and improved the efficiency of the local database (massive speed-up)
* Implemented a hash table for storing package info from databases for another significant speed increase
* Implemented disk space checking before package install/upgrades
* Added support for a check() function in PKGBUILDs to run package test suites
all of which I found more interesting/important to implement...

#12 2011-02-01 13:21:27

vit.gorbunov

Allan wrote:

Firstly, if support was added to makepkg for splitting debug packages, there is no guarantee that Arch would provide such packages.

I understand it, but it can be first step:) Without it there is no hope at all.

Support for binary delta updates was added to pacman years ago and it is still not used...

Purposes of delta updates and debug packages are quite different, so I think compare was incorrect.

I was going to finally get to finishing this patch (it is not in a finished state...) for pacman-3.5, but instead I:

I completely sure that you do other usefull tasks:).
My first post was too emotionally, sorry for that;) I'm not asking developers to stop all their tasks and quickly do what I need. I used to use debug packages very often and  just needed some answers, because as I already mentioned I was supprised how activity in that feature request was suddenly stopped after all this work.
And if patch is not ready could you at least write what exactly not finished and maybe someone (or even me) do the rest job.

Last edited by vit.gorbunov (2011-02-01 13:26:06)

Board footer