You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-31 12:21:59

gera799

Installing Arch on Asus N53jf

Hello!
I was last night trying to install Arch Linux on an Asus N53JF laptop. I couldn't, X didn't start after SLiM. It was late, I had to go to sleep and I wanted to have any distro running on it to see what worked and what didn't, so I installed Ubuntu. Almost everything worked out of the box (including function keys, headphones, bright, touchpad)... But I want Arch on it big_smile So my question is, is there a way to "emulate" this result with Arch. More specifically, doing lsmod in Ubuntu will help me to know the modules I need in Arch? Or there is a way to "copy" configurations to Arch?

Thanks,
Gerardo

#2 2011-02-01 02:42:07

lagagnon
Website

Re: Installing Arch on Asus N53jf

If X did not start after SLiM then probably your ~/.xinitrc file is incorrect for your installed window manager/desktop environment. Show us your .xinitrc and tell us what WM you installed. Did you follow the beginner's guide?

You probably do not need to know the output of lsmod yet. And no, you cannot copy the Ubuntu configs to Arch.
Please persevere - you will probably be glad you did....

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-02-01 14:07:49

gera799

Re: Installing Arch on Asus N53jf

It said something about intel and lsdev. I installed xf86-video-driver and the other thing (I don't remember the package) but SLiM didn't start X.

Yes, I followed the beginner's guide. I had installed Arch+Openbox several times, but never on a laptop. I'm going to try again this night.

Thanks

Board footer