You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-01 21:24:17

Archie_Enthusiasm

[SOlved]my gnome window manager is gone because of compiz how to set

Hi folks,

I installed gtk-decoration-compiz in order to try out some effects from compiz. But now I gave up because I could configure it to start correctly at the start-up. Furthermore I could not configure in a way so that my binding in normal gnome environment also works in compiz. I followed the instructions in our wiki for compiz. I used gconftool-2 in order to set the windowmanager to compiz. I used emerald --replace in window decoration's command. But now I gave up. I want to have my old normal gnome environment back. I removed the file in /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop file which I created myself for configuring compiz. I also set the window manager to back to gnome-wm by doing "gconftool-2 --set -type 2 string /bla bla gnome-wm" => I can not remember (executed it by root and by my own account) I desinstalled gtk-decoration-compiz etc... But now I do not have maximiz minimiz button etc... in my window manager.

When I try to access Preferences => Windows, this warning pops up:

Can't start the preferences application for your window manager. Window manager "unknown" has not registered a configuration tool.

Does it mean that gconftool-2 command did not work out or had influence on setting everything back.

Please help me. Hope I did not mess up everything.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2011-02-01 22:27:39)

#2 2011-02-01 21:51:00

hcjl

Re: [SOlved]my gnome window manager is gone because of compiz how to set

did you try logging in a tty as a normal user and edit ~/config/compiz/fusion-icon? changing

active wm = compiz

to

active wm = metacity

?

#3 2011-02-01 21:59:36

Archie_Enthusiasm

Hi,

I found a solution.

I had to type metacity instead of gnome-wm for that gconftool-2 command. Now I have it back. But I also looked into the path you suggested me. I did change from compiz to metacity now. But why is this compiz folder under .config directory still existing? I removed everything related to gtk compiz by doing

sudo pacman -Rs compiz-fusion-gtk.

I won't use compiz anymore. Therefore what is the correct way to delete everything related to compiz (including the configuration files that were created when I installed and tried to try it?, meaning the folder under .config => I just can't waste any of my precious hard disk space for compiz, I just want to have an absolute de-installation for removing all stuff related to compiz securely.)

#4 2011-02-01 22:20:46

hcjl

Board footer