You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-04 08:42:52

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Dreamplug, 16 bit DAC, relevant when using optical out?

I am looking at this baby to use as an MPD server. The plan is to connect it to my amp through the optical out. The plan, of course, is to put Arch on it in due time (I don't know the status of the ARM port).

I assume the fact the DAC is only 16 bit does not matter when you use optical, but I just want to be sure smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#2 2011-02-04 09:17:22

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Dreamplug, 16 bit DAC, relevant when using optical out?

It shouldn't matter because the optical interface should output the digital stream directly. The logic says that the ADC is only needed to capture from line in (and/or mic) and the DAC is only needed for line out.

On another note, that is an interesting piece of kit, too bad these things never have much built-in flash, 2G or 4G would be a really sweet spot and with the price of flash these days the total cost wouldn't go up that much I guess.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2011-02-04 09:27:44

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

It has an SD(HC) slot as well smile. If I get it it'd just be running MPD, and NFS, nothing more. Should be able to squeeze that onto 1 GB (although it will probably be Debian).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2011-02-04 10:34:55

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

.:B:. wrote:

It has an SD(HC) slot as well smile. If I get it it'd just be running MPD, and NFS, nothing more. Should be able to squeeze that onto 1 GB (although it will probably be Debian).

Yes in that case you are probably better off putting a Slug on it instead of Arch, you'll have an mpd server up and running in no time. However, for a music station / fileserver, wouldn't an ARM NAS be an interesting alternative? They're not much bigger or more expensive, but you'll have the storage as well then.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer