You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-04 17:53:42

Ulf

[solved] Nvidia with custom kernel

Hello,

I just compiled a new custom kernel and the custom kernel headers and then went on to create a custom nvidia kernel module. Somehow that doesn't seem to work. Nvidia is complaining that there is something Xen-ish in my kernel:

Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36-no-compat32
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 260.19.36.....................................................................................................................
The kernel you are installing for is a Xen kernel!

The NVIDIA driver does not currently work on Xen kernels. If 
you are using a stock distribution kernel, please install 
a variant of this kernel without Xen support; if this is a 
custom kernel, please install a standard Linux kernel.  Then 
try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

*** Failed Xen sanity check. Bailing out! ***

make[1]: *** [build-sanity-checks] Error 1
make: *** [module] Error 2
    Aborting...

As far as I know there is no xen or other vm stuff in the kernel. To verify this I tried to make a new nvidia package for the standard kernel. Again the same error.
Also this makes me wonder how the PKGBUILD works since it the build function just runs:

make SYSSRC=/path/to/current/kernelmodules/build module

and there are no xen sanity checks in that script, that happens in nvidia-installer - which isn't called from the PKGBUILD....

Secondly, when doing a "make module" from the nvidia/kernel dir with the standard kernel there is a difference between the abs package and the extra package. Anyone a clue what is going on in the PKGBUILD and why the difference between the two kernel modules?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ulf (2011-02-04 22:20:51)

#2 2011-02-04 18:41:27

Gusar

Re: [solved] Nvidia with custom kernel

make SYSSRC=/path/to/current/kernelmodules/build module

^ This is what I use for my custom kernels, and then copy the resulting module and then run depmod -a. Basically, I'm doing what the PKGBUILD does, just manually. It's just one file, so I don't care that it isn't tracked by the package manager. And it works.

Last edited by Gusar (2011-02-04 18:43:33)

#3 2011-02-04 19:03:28

Ulf

Yeah that seems to work but still wondering why the PKBUILD calls nvidia-installer and why there is a slight difference in size between the extra package and my own module for the same standard arch kernel and why nvidia thinks there is a kernel with Xen (it seems that it is some sort of common bug, not specific to arch but nvidia-ish).

#4 2011-02-04 21:09:04

Gusar

Ulf wrote:

Yeah that seems to work but still wondering why the PKBUILD calls nvidia-installer

To unpack it. From the PKGBUILD:

sh ${_pkg}.run --extract-only

Note the '--extract-only'

Ulf wrote:

and why there is a slight difference in size between the extra package and my own module for the same standard arch kernel

Different cflags? Different compiler version?

Ulf wrote:

and why nvidia thinks there is a kernel with Xen (it seems that it is some sort of common bug, not specific to arch but nvidia-ish).

Quite likely false detection. The installer sees something activated in the kernel and thinks it's xen related. Or something.

#5 2011-02-04 22:20:00

Ulf

Hmmm compiler settings and cflags...of course smile

Anyway, building by hand seems to work and indeed, for one file using the old fashioned make && make install

Thanks folks.

Board footer