You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-19 03:32:45

thedave

pacman for older versions

hi everyone.  i'm what i consider to be a pretty savy computer user.  have a cs degree, did all my code for the degree on unix, do most windows and mac now for work, but am running (and planning on running) arch as my primary desktop.  (windows partition for games, of course.) point is, i'm usually pretty adept at getting a computer to do what i want.

hence my frustration with figuring out what should be a relatively simple thing.  i ran into the same issue as some posted today with nvidia not installing over the new 2.6 kernel after doing a pacman -Syu, and thus have no X.  (no, i haven't just changed my driver to nv yet, because i'm pretty decent with the command line and elinks.)

the solution appears to be to downgrade gcc to 3.x from 4.x.  when i do a "pacman -Ss gcc" i see both a 3.x and 4.x version of GCC, but a standard "pacman -S gcc" always tries to install the 4.x version.  how do i specify pacman to downgrade my 4.x to the 3.x series?  (even after uninstalling the 4.x version, i couldn't figure out how to install the 3.x...)

as a note, i completely cleaned the package cache a while ago so don't even have a cached version of the 3.x gcc install package...

thanks so much!!

dave

Dave

#2 2005-05-19 04:45:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: pacman for older versions

the problem is the testing repo - technically you can't downgrade packages under arch (this is a good thing, I promise)

you obviously have testing first in your pacman.conf repo list - I'd suggest changing that... I put it last so I can specify when I want something from testing....

anyway, you can use "pacman -S <repo>/<package>" to pull from a specified repo...

try "pacman -S current/gcc"

#3 2005-05-20 23:38:07

thedave

awesome - that did it.  i didn't realize that pacman.conf had any sort of built-in priority with multiple packages.  thanks for the heads up!

Dave

#4 2005-05-21 11:11:00

i3839

Some mirrors also have older package versions, so you can download and install those manually (with pacman -U).

Board footer