You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-07 03:34:29

Sean-Der

Looking at alternative to DE

Well this will probably start a flamewar but the time has come, GNOME is about to release GNOME 3 and instead of adding more cruft to my aging machine I have to switch to a lighter alternative. Pretty much all I need is some suggestion on a WM or maybe a lighter DE (LXDE?) that provides.

1.) Easy menu editing (OBconf works)' leaning toward OpenBox
2.) Easy to use file manager with support for user mountable Samba shares (gvfs support rocks!)
3.) Nice on the eyes GTK1 sorta hurts... I don't need compiz but a good happy medium
4.) Also the ability to COMPLETELY remove GNOME. I hate to keep 1,000 packages just to keep GDM or some small piece.

Thank you for any suggestions right now I am leaning to either OpenBox or LXDE but I am just afraid to make the switch and end up back on GNOME in 3 days with butchered config files

#2 2011-02-07 03:41:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Looking at alternative to DE

What's to prevent you from taking a look at all the OTHER threads discussing this over the past year? Decisions like these are ultimately individual in nature.

Closing. Start a new thread if you have a specific question, not a 'suggest something for me' type thread, please.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer