You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-07 16:41:41

nomorewindows

Reading smartctl behaviour

I witnessed my hard drive fritzing and sure enough when I checked on it, my main partition was remounted read-only.
I rebooted and received the SMART warning at boot up.  I then installed smartmontools, and trying to read the values (a drive NOT in the database), the Reallocated Sector Count is below threshold.  It seems to have finally reallocated the sector but still bad.  It impacted one area of my main Linux partition.  So the drive did technically fail.  But the rest of the drive seems to be okay.  A couple other values such as the thermal sensor went out of whack at some point previously, In_the_past.  And a warning of current pending sector count.  I have run the long test, the short test.  It seems to come up with a bad sector no problem.  Then I use hdparm --read-sector and it reads sucessfully?  The errors in the log show UNCs at various sectors, so it seems to be unpredictable.  And the Overall Health self-test is reported as FAIL.  The drive is SATA, is this overall health something like the SCSI Host Adapter failure (it seems to be along with the disk)?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer