You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-06 14:41:03

BlackArts

Warsow lags on ATI

Hi, I'm completely new to linux. And I was very happy to find out that there's warsow in arch repositories. I've installed it, but it seems it have performance issues. While on the other hand, it runs just fine on my friends computer who has ubuntu (we have identical machines).

So, I entered lspci, and this is my graphic card:

ATI Technologies Inc M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series]

On wiki, I read that open source drivers don't offer much support for 3D, but there's section about tweaking settings to get better performances. But it seems that article is outdated, because I cannot /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, there's only xorg.conf.d directory with evdev and keyboard settings (or maybe I should create it manualy?)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/At … nce_tuning

So, is there a way to get better performance on open source drivers, because when I installed properaety drivers, first, I had a hell of a time setting them up, and second, I got even poorer results, like textures not rendering completely. Allso I had some problems with blender.

Here are my computer specifications (uname -a):

Linux Happy 2.6.37-ARCH 
#1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 29 19:40:04 UTC 2011 
i686 Intel(R) 
Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel 
GNU/Linux

#2 2011-02-07 15:50:37

schneida
Website

Re: Warsow lags on ATI

You should be able to get a xorg.conf by issuing the following command as root (use sudo or su)

Xorg :1 -config

This will create a new xorg.conf file in /root/xorg.conf.new which you will have to move, for example by issuing this command (again as root)

mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But be warned that xorg.conf file is no longer used as it has been deprecated by evdev (a system to automatically detect all necessary settings). Also I recommend using the propriatery drivers if you wan't to play. Did you follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst when you setup the fglrx ATI driver the last time? The best way to test them quickly is using the repository (info provided in the wiki article), but be sure you also do aticonfig --initial after you have installed the driver.

#3 2011-02-07 16:48:44

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Try catalyst instead of the free driver. It has vastly superiour performance. (in the scale of 4 to 8 times faster, depending on operation)

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-02-07 16:49:57)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-02-07 20:18:07

neowolf

Yeah, the main reason Ubuntu is outperforming here is that they'll push out the binary driver easily. For day to day operation I highly recommend just using the OSS driver with default settings (no xorg.conf), but if gaming performance is your goal, Catalyst is your bet.

Board footer