You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-08 00:57:15

schmidtbag

TTY1-TTY6 don't display correctly

This is my first time installing arch and I mostly have everything set up.  I still have to install the nvidia proprietary drivers, which requires a console login.  Console logins worked fine until I had KDM automatically start up.  Now, if I tell it to do a console login, its just a blank screen with a very dark blinking cursor.

I noticed I can still type things and it works.  For example, I can log in and do "sudo reboot" and the computer does reboot, but I can't see whats going on.

Why is it doing this and how do I prevent it?  the TTYs show up normally until KDM starts up.  I switched over to arch from debian and I've never had this issue before and its incredibly annoying.

if this helps, i did copy most of my home folder from my debian setup over to my new arch setup.

Also, is there a GOOD graphical alternative to pacman?  I've tried one from this other arch based distro (i forget what its called) and I found pacman much easier.

Last edited by schmidtbag (2011-02-08 01:37:59)

#2 2011-02-08 02:10:04

schmidtbag

Re: TTY1-TTY6 don't display correctly

As an update, I've tried all 3 methods for starting up KDM (inittab, daemon, and xinitrc) and i've also tried starting it up manually and the second X starts up, all of my TTYs glitch-out.  this appears to be an xorg issue but i have no idea why or what to do about it.

#3 2011-02-08 02:50:56

schmidtbag

Re: TTY1-TTY6 don't display correctly

so I managed to solve the problem myself.  apparently the nouveau drivers installed by themselves without me knowing and they were somehow screwing up the TTYs when x started.  once i installed the proprietary nvidia drivers, everything was working fine.

this is really a disappointment to me.  i know the open source drivers are somewhat behind but really, a severe glitch like this is not acceptable.  i won't be using open source drivers for a long while.

if anyone can answer my 2nd question that'd be great.

Board footer