You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-31 05:43:37

kheophex

archlinux on Asus Eee PC 1015PED

Hi everyone,

So, I've bought this netbook so I could have a nice light machine and not have to haul around my work machine all the time.

So far it's been working nice, but really, I just am not able to use Windows 7 anymore, having been spoiled by one year of running Arch. I suppose that's the disadvantage of using something that's been totally customized for yourself (and many kudos to the devs and package maintainers).

Anyway, I want to install archlinux but keep windows 7 around in a dual boot setup, as although it is a netbook the disk has more than enough space to accommodate another OS.

My question is if there any of you have any experience of any gotchas with this eee pc on archlinux. I'm thinking that probably most of the information here applies http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_1005P

More specifically, I'd like to keep the capability of recovering everything with the f9 option and the express boot up. From what I've gathered they're just hidden partitions (hidden in the sense that Windows doesn't see them I suppose), so all I have to take care is not to overwrite those partitions ?

Other than that, any advice you can give on power saving settings, hotkeys (as in the function keys and LID buttons) ?

Thanks in advance !

#2 2010-08-31 15:46:29

pyther
Website

Re: archlinux on Asus Eee PC 1015PED

I would take a look at acpi-eeepc here http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23318 although your model is not listed you probably simply have to modify the events.conf file to fit your laptop.

As for preserving the partitioning scheme, well that might not be able to be done easily. On my eeepc there is a 40-50MB partition that help increase the boot time. If your eeepc has the same thing you probably have the following partitions:

1. Windows 7 Boot Partition (100MB)
2. Windows 7 (Root) Partition (Variable)
3. Windows 7 / Asus Recovery Paritition
4. eeepc fast start partition

Now if I am right, that would mean you don't have any spare primary partitions. You can go into extended partitions, however I'm doubt things will work as expected with extended partitions.

You will likely need to wipe the recovery partition if you wanted to put arch on your system.

Hope this helps.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2010-09-01 05:20:42

kheophex

Well, partitioning it was a bit more trouble than I expected. Out of the box the partition layout of my eee pc looks like this http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_Eee … Quick_Post (except for the sizes of course).

I had originally just planned to ditch one of the windows partition as it was more than enough space for what I wanted. However as soon as I got to cfdisk it started complaining that partition 2 ended on the first partial cylinder. So I've removed the recovery partition (I've I ever need to "recover" I'll use a portable disk backup... doesn't make sense to have a backup in the same place as your important data anyway). I've played around at resizing the windows partition but it never fixed the issue with cfdisk so I just used fdisk instead.

I've gotten the archlinux base install ready with laptop mode tools working and windows 7 still boots and so does the Boot Booster (just keep the last EFI partition), so I decided to leave the rest of the fun stuff for another day.

Thanks for the tip acpi scripts tip, they look great, even though my model isn't listed it seems that it's worth trying. Do you know if any of it conflicts with laptop-mode-tools ?

Thanks !

#4 2011-01-21 21:23:28

savagenator

I would like to post an update on the eeepc. I have a 1015PEM and had trouble with arch on this installation (especially acpi). Unfortunately asus removed support for linux in its eee line, making it a little more difficult to get linux up and running.

You need to have acpi_osi=Linux at the end of the kernel line in menu.lst. This will enable the /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/ where you can turn hardware on and off (e.g. wifi and fsb).

As the partitions go, I decided to remove the second partition (where the windows installation was) and the last partition (D drive). This allows me to do a restore in the future and have splash-top to continue booting as well. Swap is on the same drive per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file .

#5 2011-01-21 21:27:02

skunktrader

Perhaps you could update the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Eee so that others with your model could benefit

#6 2011-01-22 10:17:12

broken pipe

the acpi acpi-eeepc-generic package just runs fine on my 1015PEM, i created my own events configuration file using "acpi listen".

Copyright 2009 Nicolas Bigaouette
# This file is part of acpi-eeepc-generic.
# http://code.google.com/p/acpi-eeepc-generic/
#
# acpi-eeepc-generic is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# acpi-eeepc-generic is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with acpi-eeepc-generic.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# Fn+F? combination
KEY_Fn_F1="00000080"    # Sleep
KEY_Fn_F2="00000010"  # Wifi toggle
KEY_Fn_F3="00000037"    # Touchpad
KEY_Fn_F4="00000038"    # Resolution
KEY_Fn_F5="0000002*"    # Brightness down
KEY_Fn_F6="0000002*"    # Brightness up
KEY_Fn_F7="00000016"    # Cross Screen Icon (Blank)
KEY_Fn_F8="00000030"    # XRandR
KEY_Fn_F9="00000012"    # Task Manager
KEY_Fn_F10="00000013"   # Mute
KEY_Fn_F11="00000014"   # Volume Down
KEY_Fn_F12="00000015"   # Volume Up
KEY_Fn_Space="00000039" # Space Bar

#################################################################
### Match previous to functions
EEEPC_SHE_TOGGLE=$KEY_Fn_Space

EEEPC_SLEEP=$KEY_Fn_F1
EEEPC_WIFI_TOGGLE=${KEY_Fn_F2[0]}
EEEPC_TOUCHPAD_TOGGLE=$KEY_Fn_F3
EEEPC_RESOLUTION=$KEY_Fn_F4
EEEPC_BRIGHTNESS_UP=$KEY_Fn_F5
EEEPC_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN=$KEY_Fn_F6
EEEPC_SCREEN_OFF=$KEY_Fn_F7
EEEPC_XRANDR_TOGGLE=${KEY_Fn_F8[0]}
EEEPC_TASKMAN=$KEY_Fn_F9
EEEPC_VOL_MUTE=$KEY_Fn_F10
EEEPC_VOL_DOWN=$KEY_Fn_F11
EEEPC_VOL_UP=$KEY_Fn_F12

1. download and extract the tarball: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=23318
2. cd into it and create a file called: acpi-eeepc-1015PEM-events.conf
3. paste the content from above into it
4. add acpi-eeepc-1015PEM-events.conf to the PKGBUILD with its md5sum
5. makepkg

into fstab:
tmpfs                   /var/tmp                tmpfs   noatime        0 0
tmpfs                   /tmp                      tmpfs   noatime        0 0
reduce the number of writes the system does to the drive which should make the system much more responsive

into sysctl.conf:
vm.swappiness = 1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 50
This reduces the likelihood of the system using the swap partition as swap

#7 2011-02-08 13:36:42

dieghen89

Hi savagenerator, can i ask you a thing? i've just bought an eeepc as yours...But i have some troubles with webcam and cardr:

[root@eeepc diego]# cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera 
cat: /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera: Errore di input/output
[root@eeepc diego]# echo 1 > !^
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera
bash: echo: write error: Errore di input/output

Same thing with the cardr...I have also updated the bios with the last version but nothing changed...
Do you have this problems? hmm

XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5
"Machines are so stupid that if you tell them to do something perfect, they'll do it"

#8 2011-02-09 04:18:01

cognitivesudo

I would also advise using kernel-netbook from the aur, as it fixes many issues I'm having on an EEEPC 1015P, including a very annoying bug where dbus wouldn't stop on shutdown with the stock kernel, and fixes hibernation/suspend so that it works perfectly.  That along with acpi-generic-eeepc makes for a good setup.  It also has cpufreq in the kernel by default which is a big plus.

Board footer