You are not logged in.

#26 2011-02-01 19:41:31

Army

Re: sxiv - Simple image viewer written in C

ber_t wrote:

If it's something like the typical "fit image into window when I press this key", then I can appease you, it's already in the TODO list.

Yes that's what I mean smile

#27 2011-02-02 16:56:49

onearm
Website

Regarding features, while I do agree that it should remain a very lightweight application, there is but one that I miss from feh: showing imagenames pressing 'd'. It hasn't to be overtly complicated but simply filename + size + place in the list (if opening multiple images) will be enough.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#28 2011-02-02 16:57:53

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

onearm wrote:

Regarding features, while I do agree that it should remain a very lightweight application, there is but one that I miss from feh: showing imagenames pressing 'd'. It hasn't to be overtly complicated but simply filename + size + place in the list (if opening multiple images) will be enough.

why 'd'?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#29 2011-02-02 17:04:45

karol
Archivist

Dieter@be wrote:
onearm wrote:

why 'd'?

Exactly, why 'd'? I prefer 'i' as 'info'.

#30 2011-02-02 19:12:35

ber_t
Website

onearm wrote:

All but the filesize are already shown in the window title. Displaying this information in an overlay at a window corner, either using the imlib2-api or the classic xlib approach, seems a bit too complicated, if compared to using just the window title. So it's highly unlikely, that I'm implementing this. Sorry.

#31 2011-02-02 19:18:23

karol
Archivist

ber_t wrote:
onearm wrote:

All but the filesize are already shown in the window title. Displaying this information in an overlay at a window corner, either using the imlib2-api or the classic xlib approach, seems a bit too complicated, if compared to using just the window title. So it's highly unlikely, that I'm implementing this. Sorry.

<facepalm>
I use dwm with the bar hidden so I didn't see the window title. Now I like sxiv even better :-)

#32 2011-02-02 19:19:33

silenc3r

onearm wrote:

Good point, I just entered forum to write about this feature, but you were faster wink. I also think, that despite people being used to feh's 'd', 'i' seems like better idea.

#33 2011-02-03 09:13:03

onearm
Website

ber_t wrote:

I understand it can be over complicated. I didn't notice the info in the window title because using awesomewm I don't have title bar and sometimes not even a statusbar. Anyway, just adding filesize in the window title will be ok then (and no need for a keybind of course) smile

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#34 2011-02-07 17:47:29

erno

thank you for bringing more suckless into the world

#35 2011-02-07 21:10:04

ga01f4733

You nail it, ber_t!

Fantastic Image Viewer, thank you.

Last edited by ga01f4733 (2011-02-07 21:13:07)

There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign. --R.L Stevenson

#36 2011-02-08 09:14:07

mentat
Website

erno wrote:

thank you for bringing more suckless into the world

Right, many thanks for this do one thing and do it well software.

It's this kind of image viewer I always want.
Great use with ranger the filemanger.

Now, I use feh only for thumbnails previewing.
Do you know if there is a great sxvi companion for that ?

#37 2011-02-08 09:53:59

Falstaff

It would be nice if it could run gifs.

Last edited by Falstaff (2011-02-08 16:31:23)

#38 2011-02-08 12:27:11

gorilla

mentat wrote:

Thumbnails with feh - in ranger? Can you tell me how to do that? Since I know sxiv and imlibsetroot I dropped feh from my mashine, but that would be a reason to reinstall it, if there is nothing else...

#39 2011-02-08 13:01:47

karol
Archivist

gorilla wrote:
mentat wrote:

Thumbnails with feh - in ranger? Can you tell me how to do that? Since I know sxiv and imlibsetroot I dropped feh from my mashine, but that would be a reason to reinstall it, if there is nothing else...

I think he meant

-t, --thumbnails
             Same as Index mode, but the thumbnails are clickable image
             launchers.  Note that --full-screen does not affect the thumbnail
             window. It does, however, work for the image windows launched
             from thumbnail mode.

#40 2011-02-08 13:06:41

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Falstaff wrote:

I would be nice if it could run gifs.

+1 tongue

4 8 15 16 23 42

#41 2011-02-08 13:48:32

mentat
Website

karol wrote:
gorilla wrote:
mentat wrote:

I think he meant

-t, --thumbnails
             Same as Index mode, but the thumbnails are clickable image
             launchers.  Note that --full-screen does not affect the thumbnail
             window. It does, however, work for the image windows launched
             from thumbnail mode.

Right karol,

But I ve a feh profile in my .fehrc

# default
feh --scale-down -F

# thumb profile
thumb -t -Sfilename -C /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ -e DejaVuSans/8 -E 128 -y 128 -W 1280

So when run ranger I make a selection press "!" to type

feh -Tthumb %s

or without a selection to see all pictures in the curent folder type

feh -Tthumb .

I can see a thumnails plate and directly select a picture with mouse.

Need to read more feh manpage to fix the plate and images repetition (mosaic style) because I work with ratpoison wm.
if you have suggestion ?

Hope will help.

#42 2011-02-08 14:45:35

ber_t
Website

First of all: version 0.5 is out...
New: option -r for opening directories recursively; show filesize in window title; key mappings 0/w/W, zoom to 100%/to fit window and resize window to fit image.

@mentat,gorilla: I will not implement thumbnails, so please stick to feh if you want them.

@Falstaff,Dieter@be: Sorry, but I also do not plan to implement gif animation support. Please have a look at gifview, which comes with extra/gifsicle.

#43 2011-02-08 16:14:27

mentat
Website

ber_t wrote:

@mentat,gorilla: I will not implement thumbnails, so please stick to feh if you want them.

@bert_t : Of course please don't implement this. It was not a demand, I prefer use plenty of simple tool like sxiv.
Indeed I m very happy you resist feature creeps.
I post only if someone know an "do one thing well" alternative to the feh function.

Thx for your work.

#44 2011-02-08 16:44:51

Falstaff

ber_t wrote:

First of all: version 0.5 is out...
New: option -r for opening directories recursively; show filesize in window title; key mappings 0/w/W, zoom to 100%/to fit window and resize window to fit image.

@Falstaff,Dieter@be: Sorry, but I also do not plan to implement gif animation support. Please have a look at gifview, which comes with extra/gifsicle.

Didn't knew about gifview, works fine. Thanks.

#45 2011-02-08 20:14:54

gorilla

ber_t wrote:

The recursive-option is great!

I don't plan to go back to feh. For the big photo-archives I can use the thumbnail-function of thunar (which is installed for my guest-account). Don't like feh for couple of reasons.

#46 2011-02-10 13:08:10

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

ber_t wrote:

so, if i open a gif file with sxiv-git, notice it doesn't work, i have to close it and manually type another program name?

4 8 15 16 23 42

#47 2011-02-10 13:29:39

karol
Archivist

Dieter@be wrote:
ber_t wrote:

so, if i open a gif file with sxiv-git, notice it doesn't work, i have to close it and manually type another program name?

This or file associations: every gif is opened with xyz.

#48 2011-02-10 14:09:11

ber_t
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

I'm currently thinking about some new mechanisms, which would make such interactions with other programs much simpler. I will shortly describe them here, and would like to ask you all to comment on which ones I should implement, if any:

1. New option flag -e to specify a command line, which is run on the currently visible image after pressing a certain key. Could also be extended to options -1 to -0 and corresponding keys F1-F10. Should the image always be reloaded after triggering such an external action?
2. Key mapping to print the filename of the currently visible image to stdout, or mark/unmark the currently visible image and then print the filenames of all marked images to stdout when quitting sxiv. This would be useful in scripts, for instance to open a bunch of images and decide which ones to delete.

#49 2011-02-10 15:06:27

hellnest
Website

@ber_t
Can you add support to view xbm and xpm?

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#50 2011-02-10 16:15:16

ber_t
Website

hellnest wrote:

Can you add support to view xbm and xpm?

XPM is working here, and, eh, wait there are still .xbm's out there? Well, it's not supported by imlib2 and it would be quite a lot of work to implement support for every "exotic" file format in sxiv, instead of just using imlib2. If you really want it, then please ask the imlib2 devs...

Board footer