You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-10 04:39:31

prairie_dad

cups and printer installation (solved...I'm a dope!)

having a little difficulty...

have downloaded Cups, hplip, etc, all according to wiki, running the daemon, etc...can get to cups at localhost:631 and walk through the whole printer installation process...until: !!

I put in ipp://<ip address>/ipp and so on, choose HP as the brand, get the dropdown menu with all the driver choices (including the appropriate one, that I've used on lots of other Linux boxes)...but when I select it, I get a "waiting for localhost" message from the browser...and then nothing...the driver doesn't "take."  I can ping the printer just fine, so that is not the issue...

can it be that http://<ip-address> would be better...or something else?

NO idea why...a permissions thing, or a group thing?  I'm logged into CUPS as root, so that's not it...I am in the lp group as my username, too...(there is no cups group, by the way...is that right...it exists in some other implementations, doesn't it?  The wiki doesn't say one needs it...)

anyway, many thanks...

and btw...what does your /etc/hosts look like...I have change hostname in rc.conf and hosts...but do I want to keep the name "localhost" in there as well?

thanks,

dave

Last edited by prairie_dad (2011-02-11 02:21:32)

#2 2011-02-10 06:21:15

Bordee

Re: cups and printer installation (solved...I'm a dope!)

For installing CUPS, you won't need to mess with your rc.conf and /etc/hosts.

The step that your missing is that you need to add yourself to the sys group (the lp group won't let you install cups)

To add yourself to sys group enter

# gpasswd -a [user] sys

See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_Groups

#3 2011-02-10 06:34:39

thayer
Fellow
Website

You definitely want to keep "localhost" in /etc/hosts, in addition to your hostname.  That could very well be your problem.  The sys group membership isn't necessary so long as you enter the root credentials whenever prompted by CUPS.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2011-02-11 00:14:08

prairie_dad

Thanks to you both, but no go, alas.  I think it may be something to do with the router and/or VirtualBox, to which both the iMac host (I guess I neglected to report that this was a Arch running in VBox!) are connected. 

I am using NAT for the guest networking (the default) and wonder if something needs to change there or, more likely in the settings for the router (a D-Link DIR-655) I recently acquired.  I am pretty sure at this point that it is not Arch's fault, a not a flaw in what I've installed, etc., but has to do with the router and or NAT. 

The question is...what next?  I know the printer is pingable from within my Arch VM...I know it's up, I know it prints for the iMac host...I can go its internal web page from the VM...I just can't print to it, or even assign it a driver...even though I've assigned a new driver to the same box from Linux VMs before...only the router has changed...but what settings on it matter?

Just for the record, I have used root to login to CUPS in the first place...so no group issue is a problem...and my /etc/hosts file shows

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost

what to do?

thanks,

dave

#5 2011-02-11 01:03:35

stryder

I don't print from my VMs so I can't say for sure but I use "bridge" for networking always. Makes my VM an actual machine in the network, with it's own IP. You can then set the VM's network card to dhcp in rc.conf. I would then set cups in the imac to share to everyone and you should see the shared printer in localhost:631 in your VM. You also need to enable printer sharing in system prefs. You shouldn't need to set up on your VM side. And make sure your hosts.deny is not blocking anything. HTH.

Board footer