You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-08 20:40:32

rensvind

Can't mount dlink 323 since upgrade.

Hi!

Since I did a pacman -Syu the other day I have troubles mounting my dlink 323.

Smbclient works, I can connect by executing (but I had to add client lanman auth=yes to /etc/samba/smb.conf)

smbclient //Juggernaut/Volume_1 -U fantomen
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Enter fantomen's password: 
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
smb: \> 

But when I try with mount.cifs I just get the same error over and over

mount.cifs //Juggernaut/Volume_1 /media/Juggernaut/ -v -o username=fantomen,ip=192.168.1.42
ip address 192.168.1.42 override specified
ip address specified explicitly
Password: 

mount.cifs kernel mount options: unc=//Juggernaut\Volume_1,ver=1,username=fantomen,ip=192.168.1.42,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I have tried by adding different sec options (lanman, ntlmv2 etc.),nounix and so on but nothing seems to help. I tried to change /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags to see if that would help but with no result.

I have also tried to add an entry to fstab but whit the same result as above

//192.168.1.42/Volume_1 /media/Juggernaut cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,sec=lanman,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0

I really need some help here. It feels like I have tried everything.

#2 2011-02-08 23:13:26

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Can't mount dlink 323 since upgrade.

Except like googling the mount error you're getting, maybe? wink

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-02-09 06:26:35

rensvind

Ohh belive me I have. I have been googling for the last 2 days without success. That's why I tried by posting here.

Last edited by rensvind (2011-02-09 06:35:08)

#4 2011-02-09 08:02:09

Mektub

rensvind,

I have a DNS-323 and I used to mount it through cifs.

But since a couple of years I mount it with nfs, so all I can remember is that
I had in fstab:

//dlink323/Volume_1     /dlink1     cifs    noauto,user=WNAME/user%xxxxx,file_mode=0664

where WNAME is the workgroup name, user the user name and xxxxxx the password.
Of course clear text, probably not good in some situatios.

I remember I had to execute smbpasswd -a user on the DNS-323 to set the password.

This is a bit sketchy, don't know if it helps.

In recent firmware the DNS should have nfs, howewer I installed it as described at:

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=3

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#5 2011-02-09 09:28:22

Forum Fellow
Website

rensvind wrote:

Ohh belive me I have. I have been googling for the last 2 days without success. That's why I tried by posting here.

That's good, but you should point out what you tried (I assume you tried stuff that google came up with but that you didn't put in your post?), for the sake of completeness, so people don't start suggesting what you already tested. E.g. one of the first Google hits I get suggests to add the domain name as well and your post doesn't mention that.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2011-02-09 11:06:52

rensvind

Mektub wrote:

rensvind,

I have a DNS-323 and I used to mount it through cifs.

But since a couple of years I mount it with nfs, so all I can remember is that
I had in fstab:

//dlink323/Volume_1     /dlink1     cifs    noauto,user=WNAME/user%xxxxx,file_mode=0664

where WNAME is the workgroup name, user the user name and xxxxxx the password.
Of course clear text, probably not good in some situatios.

I remember I had to execute smbpasswd -a user on the DNS-323 to set the password.

This is a bit sketchy, don't know if it helps.

In recent firmware the DNS should have nfs, howewer I installed it as described at:

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=3

Mektub

Ahh, I'll have to try that user=WNAME/user%password when I get home.

.:B:. wrote:

That's good, but you should point out what you tried (I assume you tried stuff that google came up with but that you didn't put in your post?), for the sake of completeness, so people don't start suggesting what you already tested. E.g. one of the first Google hits I get suggests to add the domain name as well and your post doesn't mention that.

Ok, I get your point. I'll try to be a little more specific in what I have tried.

I have tried by adding domain=xxx, workgroup=xxx. I have also tried both with and without a smbcredentials file (where I made sure there were no extra whitespaces). I have tried mount.cifs and mount -t cifs.

As a side note I can connect to the nas through win7 and a live disk with ubuntu 7.10.

#7 2011-02-09 18:23:36

Forum Fellow
Website

If Mektub's suggestion does not work, then diff the Ubuntu Live Samba configuration and the ones on your Arch setup. You should test with a recent Ubuntu version though to be sure, as to minimise differences due to added features/bug fixes/etc. Arch is bleeding edge, Ubuntu is a bit more conservative, 7.10 means you're using software from 2007.

#8 2011-02-11 08:01:09

rensvind

Ok, I have made progress.

I tried the suggestions above without any success. Ubuntu 10 managed to mount the nas without problem though so I used that smb.conf to see if that would help but it made no difference.

I then managed to find some hints on how to open up a telnet session on the nas so I did that and then edited the smb.conf on the nas. I changed

security = SHARE
to
security = USER

and restarted the samba service. Lo and behold! I can now mount my nas.

But I'm still very confused about why I have been able to mount the nas before without changing the security setting.

Board footer