You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-13 02:23:14

nemamradfazole
Website

Samson CO1U - USB microphone

I'd like to post my experience with buying a new mic. I was a little unsure whether an USB mic would work with Linux, but with this model there's fortunately nothing to be afraid of - it works just out of box.

Although you can record directly from it using Audacity (after selecting it as an input source in Edit > Preferences > Devices > Recording > Device), I find it more useful and reliable (in the case of the direct recording Audacity can cut it) to use the JACK server. Few easy steps:

1. Install qjackctl.

2. Run qjackctl.

3. Select the proper device for the mic in Edit > Input device.

4. You'll probably have to restart qjackctl.

5. Click "Start" button to start the JACK server.

6. If you want to hear feedback of your mic (probably not on speakers but on headphones), click "Connect" and connect capture device number 1 with both playback devices (they're more probably channels than devices) - the reason for connecting just number 1 is that the left channel of the mic is the main record, the right channel is somehow quieter and seems unnecessary. Notice that there will be some small latency.

7. Run Audacity - don't run it earlier, because it wouldn't recognise JACK.

8. Select JACK in Edit > Preferences > Devices > Interface. It's useful to switch to mono recording.

9. Now you can record. It's possible to overdub while listening to both the original sound and the recorded sound (with the mentioned small latency of the recorded sound).

One more think I'd like to tell about is the quality of this mic - it's really good, I don't have to depend on a sound card because it has its own A/D convertor. With my laptop's internal sound card, there was always some white noise using analog mics, but now it's gone. There are also videos on YouTube demonstrating the quality.

Board footer