You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-20 02:52:52

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse works well with Arch

I know we're not supposed to do advertising on this forum, but in this case, I feel I'm just reporting about a hardware compatibility issue.

After my Microsoft USB optical cordless mouse died, with some hesitation I ordered a Logitech V470 Cordless Laser Mouse. It's a bluetooth mouse designed especially for notebooks but, since it's a mid-size rather than really compact mouse, it's big enough to be comfortable for everyday use with a desktop, I think.

I'm happy to report that, by following the steps in this wiki page about installing a bluetooth mouse on Arch, I got it working in no time. Mark another small victory for Linux, and for Arch and its documentation, too.

FWIW, my laptop is a Thinkpad T61p.

I remember a time when you could almost count on spending a lot of time setting up most any newish hardware item under Linux. I used to put up with it since I invariably would learn a lot about my system and about Linux, too. I think we're getting past that now, and that the Linux userbase has reached the critical mass necessary so that the drivers, setup scripts and documentation generally follow pretty quickly a new hardware release.

Last edited by dhave (2008-12-20 13:09:02)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2008-12-20 09:51:34

buddabrod

Re: Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse works well with Arch

I have it running since last year or so without any problem so far. It's the fist recharge of my batteries so far.

#3 2008-12-20 11:12:36

archlinuxsagi

Good for you. I also have that mouse. Actually, IIRC, this mouse has no issues since kernel 2.6.22 and above.

#4 2008-12-20 11:17:53

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't want to spoil the fun - but that's exactly what standards are all about - implementation & compliance wink.

I have the exact same model and it's easy to get it working. Compare it to USB, albeit with a little more configuration.

Also, both bluetooth-capable mobile phones I have are working just fine with my Linux setup. So I'd say bluetooth pretty much works, I'd say...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-02-20 19:56:57

zyghom
Website

excellent mouse, without ANY configuration works perfectly, both: scrolling vertical and horizontal
and not getting "sleeping mode" like my previous kensington

Zygfryd Homonto

#6 2009-02-21 10:16:08

dhave

zyghom wrote:

excellent mouse, without ANY configuration works perfectly, both: scrolling vertical and horizontal
and not getting "sleeping mode" like my previous kensington

Two months after purchase, I still agree wholeheartedly -- and I'm still on my first batteries, too.

Donate to Arch!

#7 2009-02-21 15:39:32

dhave

Here's a question that is a little OT but still relates to this particular mouse.

Have any of you upgraded to bluez-4.30 from bluez-libs and bluez-utils (now apparently deprecated)?

If so, could you help me understand exactly how to get my mouse working again so that it is auto-recognized on boot?

I've been following the discussion in this thread, but I'm afraid I've gotten lost in the details. What I'd like to see is a step-by-step just for getting a bluetooth mouse working. I'm not using any other bluetooth devices.

For now, I've reverted to bluez-libs and bluez-utils, but I'd like to stay up with what's current and would therefore like to get my mouse working with the new bluez.

Thanks.

Donate to Arch!

#8 2009-02-21 17:26:58

zyghom
Website

I use latest 4.30
to get my mouse connected I used the topic 65237 together with ... bluetooth-applet
so I got it working and it is working now even better then with 3.x
and no need for hidd/hcid anymore

Zygfryd Homonto

#9 2009-02-21 18:14:41

dhave

zyghom wrote:

I use latest 4.30
to get my mouse connected I used the topic 65237 together with ... bluetooth-applet
so I got it working and it is working now even better then with 3.x
and no need for hidd/hcid anymore

Thanks, zyghom.

I wonder if you have a minute to do me a favor. Could you please write down (maybe in numbered steps:)) the actual changes you made after moving up to bluez 4.30? I've been reading over topic 65237, but, as I say, I keep getting lost in the details. I'm having trouble sorting out what applies to my little mouse and what's for bluetooth phones, frying pans and vacuum cleaners. tongue

I know this is a hassle, but, while I may pass myself off as a young, cool, hipster, I'm actually an old geezer with bad eyesight and limited powers of concentration.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Donate to Arch!

#10 2009-02-22 05:50:29

zyghom
Website

no problemos mate
1-for mouse, after updating bluez I got nervous as I've been loosing my patience - always restart required "pairing" or whatever, according to the topics etc etc I lost my patience and I installed "bluez-gnome"
once installed you just run it: bluetooth-applet - then you get nice BT icon in tray, then from then right-click, setup new device ... voila
2-for nokia phone /etc/rfcomm.conf:

rfcomm0 {
    bind no;
    device 00:11:E5:0F:08:11;    
    channel    1;
    comment "Nokia 6233 ";
}

3- cat /etc/conf.d/bluetooth | grep -v '#'

HIDD_ENABLE="true"
RFCOMM_ENABLE="true"

connecting  Nokia phone also from bluetooth-applet - it even shows you pin which you have to enter into nokia - after this all ok and gprs working perfect

P.S.
what is funny: kbluetooth4 did not help me with this so even I use KDE I had to use "bluez-gnome"
for daily usage I don't start bluetooth-applet - just in case I want to connect i.e. new mouse (which is excellent as of now)

if this description does not work let me know, I will reinstall my arch and I will write all commands down what I did and will send you :-)

Zygfryd Homonto

#11 2009-02-22 13:59:44

dhave

Thanks for the help, zyghom. I've finally got things working. My experience went like this:

(1) After updating to bluez-4.30, I created the special "trust" file in /var/lib/bluetooth/XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX/, as explained in this post. However, contrary to what that post says, in my case the trust file doesn't have to be copied over to its location with each boot. It seems to be persisting from boot to boot.

(2) Since I'm currently using KDE4, I next installed and tried kdebluetooth4 to register my bluetooth mouse, but I couldn't get it to work.

(3) Next I tried blueman, which didn't work properly, either.

(4) I thought I was going to have to install the gnome bluetooth tool(s), but finally I got kdebluetooth4 to work. To get kdebluetooth4 to work properly, I had to:

(4.a) rebuild from ABS obex-data-server (at least I think that's what made the difference).

(4.b) Then I had to fiddle with kdebluetooth4 a bit, setting my mouse as a trusted device, then rebooting and redoing the settings until the settings "stuck" (I don't know why they didn't stick the first time).

(4.c) Then I had to write a bash script for kdebluetooth4 to be autostarted, which I made executable and put into ~/.kde4/Autostart

Maybe I did more than was necessary, but it is working now, and with bluez-4.30. Thanks again, zyghom, for leading me in the right direction, and for your patience with an old-timer. Now, please excuse me, I've got to go find my reading glasses and hearing aid.

Last edited by dhave (2009-02-22 14:23:52)

Donate to Arch!

#12 2009-02-22 14:13:40

zyghom
Website

nice you got it working !

Zygfryd Homonto

#13 2011-02-13 03:57:38

BAJ716

I have this mouse also.  I'm new to Linux but had used this mouse on my previous Windohs installation and got hooked on using the side-scroll buttons on the wheel.  Has anyone figured out how to make that work in Arch?

Thx
-Brad

Board footer