You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-31 05:53:35

Drifty Flintlock

No sound except Flash, volume control doesn't work for that.

My sound seems to be cursed. Everything else works fine for me, but in the few years I've been using Arch I've been plagued by constant sound problems. Apparently something in a recent update broke my sound. I get no sound for anything but Flash, except Flash sound is SUPER LOUD, and doesn't adjust with the volume control. Everything else, there's just no sound. Not in VLC, Amarok, Battle for Wesnoth, or other various programs I tried. I tried VLC using the default sound output, the pulse output, and even the ALSA output just for the heck of it. No dice. I was reading in another similar topic that KDE might be the culprit, and indeed I'm using Pulse and KDE. My asound.conf is the default one that comes with the pulseaudio-alsa package. I've tried both gstreamer and xine as backends, they both have the same problem. In pavucontrol, it looks like sound is playing. If I play music or a test sound, the sound bar moves, but you still can't hear anything.

Now here's where it gets weird. Selecting a device within Phonon is screwy. In the output section, the devices listed are as follows. All but the top one are grayed out.

Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)
Internal Audio Digital Stereo
Dummy Output
Internal Audio Analog Surround 4.1
Internal Audio Analog Surround 4.0

Now, in the audio capture section, the devices are different.

Internal Audio Analog Stereo
NVidia CK804 with ALC655 (NVidia CK804)
NVidia CK804 with ALC655 (NVidia CK804 - MIC ADC)
Pulse Audio

In that list, pulse is greyed out. Are they supposed to be different like that?

In any case... I'm at a bit of a loss. I just can't seem to keep the sound working on this thing. Any ideas?

#2 2011-01-01 19:00:04

Maximalminimalist

Re: No sound except Flash, volume control doesn't work for that.

I have exactly the same problem. No solution. (But my sound on flash is not too loud.) It is alarming that with the flashplugin-prerelease there is also no sound.

(But I needed more attempts to describe the problem. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109923 )

#3 2011-01-09 12:32:32

Maximalminimalist

Did you find a solution in the meantime?

#4 2011-01-12 01:57:12

universalpoe

I think I encountered the sound problem too. I'm using a thinkpad T42, installed gnome, using ALSA. Normally I just enter runlevel 3 into the console, I have ALSA configed and the soundcard is well recognized. But when I play .mp3 using mpg123, everything goes fine but just no sound output (I setted up alsamixer previously, and had all necessary channels unmuted.). That goes several days. And one day, after setting up alsamixer, I also did a alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.status store, miracle the sound is there. But the day after, the sound disappeared again. Now I'm totally lost, leaving me thinking whether it's a Arch sound bug?

By the way, my system is most updated and upgraded.

Last edited by universalpoe (2011-01-12 01:57:42)

#5 2011-02-13 22:17:27

Maximalminimalist

I just removed pulseaudio-also and pulseaudio and I can hear sound from mplayer! :-)

Board footer