You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-13 23:48:08

hellnest
Website

[SOL] the correct value of hdparm -B flag that suitable for notebook?

Sorry to put this question, but i was too damn confuse reading whole pages and still can't find any clue about it.

1. If i set hdparm -B 1 /dev/sda ---> this will bring peace and low temperature on my HDD, it's arround 32-36Celcius.
BUT,
it will increase the load cycle count which is limited and can decrease your HDD life, <--- this is correct or no? I read on slashdot and other forum + blog but still not sure about it

2. if i set hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda ---> this will bring "overheat" IMO, because the temperature can achieve to 47Celcius on high load and 42Celcius and idle
BUT
it was told that it can increase your HDD life, which is decrease the load cycle count <--- i read this on wiki, but i'm not sure becaue the heat is too high for notebook.

I try to put in a middle option '128' flag, but still achieve overheat and no difference at all with '254' flag. Can anyone help me with this? thanks for the time reading my post. smile

Last edited by hellnest (2011-02-14 00:10:53)

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#2 2011-02-13 23:56:14

skunktrader

Re: [SOL] the correct value of hdparm -B flag that suitable for notebook?

This is not an answer but this is a previous thread regarding the same issue
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39258
(which I added as a comment in my /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf)  I am using 128 in my laptops wfiw

#3 2011-02-14 00:09:12

hellnest
Website

Re: [SOL] the correct value of hdparm -B flag that suitable for notebook?

Hmm thanks for the response, so it's old already will mark it as solved and go with 128 flag then wink

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

Board footer